Analysis of Natural Products and Pharmaceuticals
A section of Separations (ISSN 2297-8739).
We are pleased to introduce a new Section of Separations under the topic “Analysis of Natural Products and Pharmaceuticals”
In general terms, “Natural Products” can be defined as all compounds that are synthesized/produced by living organisms (plants, animals, etc.). The importance of Natural Products has been recognized for thousands of years and, still today, a considerable fraction of new drugs is based on the discovery of natural biogenic molecules.
In the Section “Analysis of Natural Products and Pharmaceuticals”, we are welcoming original research and review articles on the development and application of analytical methods in both natural product and pharmaceuticals science.
Research on the analysis of Natural Products should ideally increase the current knowledge on the extraction, isolation, identification, structure elucidation and quantification of bioactive compounds. All aspects of instrumental analysis that can be used as a tool to achieve these tasks are welcome. Reports on Quality Control and Standardization of Natural Products will also be considered on the basis of their significance in the field.
Analysis of Pharmaceuticals, on the other hand, is an extremely broad topic ranging from quality control or raw materials to impurity profiling of active ingredients and to bioanalytical applications. Original work on all aspects of related research is welcome. Impurity profiling and especially identification/quantification of genotoxic impurities are of particular interest, while simple assays using HPLC should provide clear advantages from an analytical point of view in order to be processed further. Research work from industries reporting the results from real-world analytical problems is also welcome. All pharmaceutical-related analytical methods should be fully validated.
Bioanalytical methods including pharmacokinetic, bioequivalence, protein and DNA binding studies are welcome on the basis of analytical novelty, including sample preparation. Real-world applications (endogenous analytes or sampling from patients) are highly recommended versus demonstration through spiking of blank biological matrices.
In all cases, novelty will be the major suitability criterion of submitted articles. Authors must, therefore, always address the question of how their proposed methodology compares with previously reported methods.
Topical Advisory Panel
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Advances in the Chromatographic Separation and Analysis of Natural Products/Medicines (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Extraction, Isolation, and Purification of Natural Bioactive Compounds (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Application of Hyphenated Techniques in Natural Product Analysis (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Applications of Separation and Purification Techniques for Natural Products Derived from Plants Source (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Extraction and Analysis of Chemical Compositions of Natural Products and Plants (Deadline: 30 December 2023)
- Application of Microextraction and Chromatography in Bioanalysis and Pharmaceutical Analysis (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Separation, Extraction and Purification of Natural Products (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Isolation and Characterization of Natural Products/Secondary Metabolites (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources: Extraction, Characterization, Evaluation and Application (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Recent Advances and Trends in Dietary Supplement Analysis (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Analysis, Isolation and Biological Activities of Polyphenols from Terrestrial and Marine Sources (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Isolation of Natural Products and Their Application in Pharmaceuticals (Deadline: 24 January 2024)
- Impact of Liquid Chromatography in Pharmaceutical Research and Beyond (Deadline: 20 February 2024)
- Biological and Toxicological Activities of Plant Extracts and Their Extraction Methods (Deadline: 28 February 2024)
- Isolation of Natural Compounds—Emphasis on Antioxidants' Purification (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Research Progress for Isolation of Plant Active Compounds (Deadline: 10 March 2024)
- Design and Development of Sample Preparation Procedures for the Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Advanced Research on Extraction and Analysis of Plant Extracts (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Composition Analysis and Biological Properties Evaluation of Plants (Deadline: 30 April 2024)
- Extraction and Separation of Bioactive Molecules from Marine Flora and Fauna and By-Products of Aquatic Industries (Deadline: 10 May 2024)
- HPLC or Other Chromatographic-Based Methods for Analysis of Bioactive Compounds in Plant, Food, and Pharmaceutical Products (Deadline: 10 May 2024)
- Advances in Chemical Fingerprint Assessment and Analytical Isolation of Natural Products and Pharmaceuticals (Deadline: 20 May 2024)
- Extraction of Natural Products and Their Bioactivity (Deadline: 20 May 2024)
Following topical collection within this section is currently open for submissions: