Special Issue "Artificial Intelligence Methodologies for Networked Sensors in Smart Cities"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 June 2019
Dr. Burak Kantarci
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Website | E-Mail
Interests: Internet of Things; cybersecurity; big data in the network; crowdsensing and social networks; cloud networking; digital health (d-health); green ICT and sustainable communications
Two main drivers of smart cities, large-scale sensing-systems and big data concepts, aim to integrate everyday services and artificial intelligence (AI), with the goal of minimizing human intervention. Services such as transportation, utility, public safety, public health, and environmental health are some of the services that utilize AI-based methodologies to realize sustainable cities. Various challenges need to be addressed before AI integration with networked sensors in smart city services is widely adopted.
With this Special Issue on ‘’Artificial Intelligence Methodologies for Networked Sensors in Smart Cities’’, we aim to provide a high-quality collection of recent developments on the tools and platforms for analysis and simulations, as well as practical test beds for the integration of AI-assisted smart sensing-concepts with smart city applications. This Special Issue solicits submissions from scientists, engineers, manufacturers, and service providers, who present novel work contributions of research and innovation that co-utilize AI and sensors in smart cities. The articles that this issue seeks must be original work or comprehensive reviews, which have not been published, or submitted for publication elsewhere; topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- AI models for ubiquitous sensing and internet of things
- AI-assisted sensing-solutions for smart utilities
- Sensing systems in smart power
- Intelligent sensing-systems in lighting
- Participatory and opportunistic sensing-solutions for smart cities
- AI in security, privacy, and trust in smart cities sensing-systems
- Analytics platforms using AI methodologies for multi-sensory data in smart cities
- Machine learning-based design of social sensing: citizens as sensors in smart cities
- IoT-driven sensing-solutions for smart health services
- Applied AI in the control of nano-bio sensing-systems for the smart environment
- AI-based virtualization of IoT network functions
- Intelligent protocols for self-organizing network management in smart city deployments
- Data plane and control plane design issues in ultra-dense smart city topologies
- Software-driven flow management in smart city applications
- Global sensor deployment case studies in smart cities
- Self-healing sensor deployments and redundant sensor hardware design in smart cities
- Ethical issues in the application of AI methods on sensory data
- Medical cyber physical systems: integrating AI and medical sensing for decision support
Prof. Dr. Sema Oktug
Dr. Tolga Soyata
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sensors is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- artificial Intelligence
- machine learning
- deep neural networks
- smart cities
- wireless sensor networks
- Internet of Things
- social sensing
- cyber-physical systems