Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "New Perspectives of Remote Sensing for Archaeology"
A special issue of Remote Sensing (ISSN 2072-4292).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 June 2014).
Starting from 2000, the availability of the first very high resolution satellite imagery and LiDAR provided new opportunities for archaeological prospection, allowing us to enlarge the fields of application, from site discovery to monitoring, from single site to cultural landscape, also for cultural heritage covered by vegetation or located in extensive and difficult remote areas.
Currently, the main challenges to be addressed are mainly the need to set up ad hoc methodological approaches for different environmental and geomorphological conditions (from forest to desert, from flat areas to complex topography), types of applications (form preventive archaeology to preservation and protection), for all the current available earth observation technologies, including SAR and geophysics.
In detail the main topics will be:
- Integration of active and passive remote sensing technologies including ground based investigations (geophysics, ground spectroscopy)
- Semiautomatic and automatic approaches for extracting cultural information
- Interconnection between environmental changes and dynamics of human frequentation: the contribution of Earth Observation
- Remote Sensing as basic tool to support virtual fruition of ancient landscapes and archaeological sites
- Remote sensing and geospatial analysis for preventive archaeology;
- 3D modeling and visualization issues from satellite, airborne and terrestrial sensors
- Integration of different data acquisition technologies including UAV
Dr. Rosa Lasaponara
Dr. Nicola Masini
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Remote Sensing is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.