A section of Materials (ISSN 1996-1944).
Smart materials can overcome the limitations of their inherent material properties by exploiting the unique design and structures of the materials. Smart materials are designed to significantly change in a controlled fashion in response to external stimuli, such as stress, moisture, electric or magnetic fields, light, temperature, pH, or chemical compounds in various applications involving sensors and actuators, or artificial muscles, robotics, etc.
The “Smart Materials” section is a forum for the rapid publication of works pertaining to the preparation, characterization, and application of all smart materials. The scope of Smart Materials comprises, without being limited to, various applications in sensors and actuator, soft robotics, wearable electronics, flexible/stretchable electronics, energy generation and storage devices, displays, and shape memory polymers by utilizing the concept of smart materials. Both experimental and theoretical studies along with novel characterization methods will be covered. All manuscripts to be considered for publication in this section will undergo a rigorous peer review process, and decisions are based on the recommendations of independent reviewers.
Topical Advisory Panel
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Semiconductor Optoelectronic Materials and Devices (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Advances in the Sustainable Fabrication of Smart and Functional Textiles (Deadline: 10 January 2024)
- Thermoelectric Materials: Progress and Their Applications (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Structure and Properties of Advanced Thermoelectric Materials and Devices (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Advances in Synthesis, Characterization, and Applications of Advanced Functional Materials for Architectures (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Recent Progress of Materials for Smart Windows (Deadline: 20 February 2024)
- Novel Smart Materials for Optical Fiber Sensor Development (Deadline: 20 February 2024)
- Smart Materials and Structures for Flexible Electronics and Advanced Devices (Deadline: 20 February 2024)
- Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting and Sensing Technology: Materials, Mechanisms, and Applications (Deadline: 10 April 2024)
- Advances in Multimaterial Fibers and Devices (Deadline: 20 April 2024)
- Advanced Materials for Clothing and Textile Engineering—2nd Edition (Deadline: 20 April 2024)
- Advances in Photomobile Materials and Systems (Deadline: 10 May 2024)
- Technology and Applications of Shape Memory Materials (Deadline: 20 May 2024)
- Functional Fiber Materials for Aeronautical and Aerospace Applications (Deadline: 10 June 2024)
- Advanced Mechanical Design and Applications of Metamaterials (Deadline: 20 June 2024)
- Intelligent Material Structures for Vibration Suppression, Energy Harvesting, Structural Health Monitoring (Deadline: 31 July 2024)