Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Models of Consciousness"
A special issue of Entropy (ISSN 1099-4300).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 22 December 2019.
Interests: Relativistic quantum information; quantum foundations; formal models of consciousness and free will
Interests: Mathematical physics; calculus of variations; formal models of consciousness
Interests: Geometric representation theory; analytic and arithmetic geometry; mathematical physics; formal models of consciousness
Interests: Spaces and algebras of functions; mathematical theories of consciousness involving relationships
Interests: Core concepts for a science of consciousness; philosophy of mind; molecular quantum mechanics
The field ‘Scientific Study of Consciousness’ emerged in the early 1990s as a response to groundbreaking developments in neuroscience, cognitive psychology, and analytic philosophy. In the 25 years of its existence, it has become a major part of these disciplines and has made numerous discoveries that illuminate the relation between consciousness, cognition, and the brain.
From the very beginning, a large part of the research activity was aimed at discovering laws or regularities that describe how consciousness relates to the physical domain. Much like fundamental physics, the goal was to understand a part of reality using formal mathematical tools.
Thus, it is not surprising that in the past few years the activities of this field have attracted increasing attention from mathematicians, physicists and others who work with formal methods.
In order to bring those researchers together, we have organized the international conference ‘Models of Consciousness’ at the University of Oxford’s Mathematical Institute. On the occasion of this conference, we are very happy to call for submissions to this Entropy Special Issue dedicated to formal models of consciousness.
Complementing the excellent pool of journals in this area, this call is restricted to formal or mathematical approaches to the topic (please see the ‘Criteria for acceptance’ below).
Our hope in announcing this Special Issue is to facilitate the creation of a community of researchers who strive to investigate the theoretical and mathematical side of consciousness studies in a collaborative and open-minded manner. We believe that in cooperation with the important experimental work being done around the globe, a formal perspective might make valuable contributions to the scientific study of consciousness.
In joyful anticipation of your submission,
Prof. Dr. Ian Durham
Dr. Johannes Kleiner
Prof. Yakov Kremnitzer
Dr. Jonathan Mason
Dr. Dr. Robert Prentner
Criteria for Acceptance
This call for submissions is open to everyone. We note that only submissions that satisfy the following criteria can be accepted for peer review:
- The submission is either a research article that presents novel research or a comprehensive review article. Comments, re-submissions or minor modifications of previously published articles will not be accepted.
- The submission is concerned with formal models of consciousness, experience, awareness, or the mind–matter relationship. Submissions focused on other topics (e.g., pure cognitive neuroscience) cannot be accepted.
- Submissions need to specify clearly in what sense terms such as consciousness or experience are being used, as well as the long-term goal of the research project to which the submission belongs.
- The presentation of essential mathematical details is strongly encouraged, as is the explanation of why a specific mathematical structure is being chosen. Submissions which merely gesture at some general mathematical structure cannot be accepted.
- The submission needs to be comprehensible to anyone with an MA degree in mathematics or theoretical physics. We ask that non-trivial philosophical notions are introduced in a concise manner.
- The submission needs to conform to Entropy’s criteria for scholarly publication, including word lengths and citation style. Please carefully read Entropy’s guide for authors linked below before submission. Proofreading cannot be provided.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Entropy is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Formal models of consciousness
- Theoretical consciousness studies
- Mathematical models of the mind-matter relation
- Mathematics of consciousness
- Experience and qualia space
- Scientific study of consciousness