Special Issue "Advanced Technologies in Intelligent Computer System Architecture"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 June 2022.
Interests: compiler technologies for performance, energy efficiency, and security
Interests: embedded systems design; low-power computing systems
Intelligent computer systems are increasingly gaining traction thanks to the improvements in the underlying machine intelligence theory and applications. This is also driving intelligence into embedded devices, which are expected to implement complex decision logics, with or without the support of remote networked servers, and possibly coordinate information from multiple sources to achieve a correct understanding of the environment they are operating in.
These scenarios pose numerous challenges in terms of performance, battery life, reliability, and security, which must be addressed through appropriate architectural solutions, including hardware accelerators for specific tasks, as well as through software-level optimizations, including compiler transformations and software design methodologies. The combination and co-design of software and hardware become particularly important when resources are constrained, and holistic techniques need to be adopted.
This Special Issue aims at collecting advances in the field, including a mix of application-specific and methodological contributions. The topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Hardware architectures and accelerators for intelligent embedded and cyberphysical systems;
- Compiler-based techniques for enforcing extrafunctional properties;
- Approximate computing and mixed-precision techniques;
- Low-power embedded systems architectures for AI and machine learning applications;
- Embedded systems compiler/runtime frameworks to support AI and machine learning applications;
- Programmability of self-driving cars and other safety-critical intelligent computer systems;
- Models and learning discretization for low-end microcontrollers;
- Performance/memory tradeoffs and optimizations in intelligent computer systems;
- Hardware/software co-design and platform-based design of intelligent computer systems.
Prof. Dr. Giovanni Agosta
Prof. Dr. Carlo Brandolese
Dr. Stefano Cherubin
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Electronics is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Intelligent systems architecture
- Embedded systems design
- Cyberphysical systems
- Approximate computing
- Energy efficiency
- Compiler optimization
- Ubiquitous computing systems