Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Advanced Coatings for Corrosion Protection in Extreme Environments"
A special issue of Coatings (ISSN 2079-6412).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 October 2018).
Prof. Dr. Homero Castaneda Website E-Mail
Materials Science and Engineering, Director of the National Corrosion and Materials Reliability Center, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Interests: stress corrosion cracking; localized impedance spectroscopy; multifunctional materials degradation; coatings; deterministic-probabilistic modeling
Prof. Dr. Velumani Subramaniam Website E-Mail
Department of Electrical Engineering (SEES), Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N.(CINVESTAV), Av. Instituto Politécnico Nacional # 2508, Col. San Pedro Zacatenco, 07360, México D.F., Mexico
Interests: protective coatings; microscopic analysis; DFT calculations and modeling
Recent theoretical and experimental developments in multifunctional coatings as single or multilayers covering metallic substrates are among the most highly-exploited research systems in the field of corrosion science and engineering. Spurred primarily by durability in demanding environmental conditions required by current applications ranging from aerospace, medical, automotive and chemical industries to oil and gas technologies. Driven by the current state of knowledge of corrosion prevention mechanisms, the need to maintain structural material integrity and reliability assets under harsh environments, and a renewed impetus towards durability of new nanostructured coating systems, have seen a huge demand on experimental, theoretical and modeling activities.
The manufacture, design and test of high-performance nanostructured materials that are either electroactive (e.g., metals, graphene, carbon nanotubes, conductive polymers, etc.) or are capable of serving as physical protection layers (organic polymers, composites materials, ceramic materials, etc.) or combination provides unprecedented functionality and opportunities for multifunctional coatings protecting the metallic structures (steels, stainless steels, aluminum, and magnesium).
This scope of this Special Issue will serve as a forum for papers in the following concepts:
- Theoretical and experimental research, knowledge and new ideas in corrosion protective and preventive coatings mechanisms.
- Recent developments in multi-functional organic, inorganic, hybrid coatings
- Coatings produced by different processes, including but not limit to additive manufacturing processes, thermal spray, laser and plasma processing, CVD, plating, etc.
- Experimental and processing high-performance coatings with exposure to high temperatures, high stress, and other extreme environment applications.
- Understanding the degradation mechanisms of coatings through friction, wear or other dynamic loading condition and corrosion.
- The latest development of test methods considering the interplay between mechanical, chemical, and electrochemical interactions and the ability to predict performance and/or reliability. Emphasis on valid, accelerated performance tests and the relation between test technique and field performance data.
- Computer modeling, simulation to predict coating properties, performance, durability and reliability in service environments.
Prof. Dr. Homero Castaneda
Prof. Dr. Velumani Subramaniam
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Coatings is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Protective corrosion coatings
- Extreme environments
- Performance modeling
- Reliability coatings
- Damage evolution modeling of coatings