Next Article in Journal
The Impact of Training Data Sequence on the Performance of Neuro-Fuzzy Rainfall-Runoff Models with Online Learning
Next Article in Special Issue
Combining TRIGRS and DEBRIS-2D Models for the Simulation of a Rainfall Infiltration Induced Shallow Landslide and Subsequent Debris Flow
Previous Article in Journal
Capturing the Motion of the Free Surface of a Fluid Stored within a Floating Structure
Previous Article in Special Issue
The Stability of Tailings Dams under Dry-Wet Cycles: A Case Study in Luonan, China
Open AccessArticle

Analysis and Mapping of Rainfall-Induced Landslide Susceptibility in A Luoi District, Thua Thien Hue Province, Vietnam

1
Department of Economic Geology and Geomatics, Vietnam Institute of Geosciences and Mineral Resources, Hanoi 084-04, Vietnam
2
Department of Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering, Vrije Universteit Brussel, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Water 2019, 11(1), 51; https://doi.org/10.3390/w11010051
Received: 30 October 2018 / Revised: 12 December 2018 / Accepted: 21 December 2018 / Published: 29 December 2018
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Water-Induced Landslides: Prediction and Control)
  |  
PDF [2855 KB, uploaded 29 December 2018]
  |  

Abstract

Rainfall-induced landslides form an important natural threat in Vietnam. The purpose of this study is to explore regional landslide susceptibility mapping in the mountainous district of A Luoi in Thua Thien Hue Province, where data on the occurrence and causes of landslides are very limited. Three methods are applied to examine landslide susceptibility: statistical index, logistic regression and certainty factor. Nine causative factors are considered: elevation, slope, geological strata, fault density, geomorphic landforms, weathering crust, land use, distance to rivers and annual precipitation. The reliability of the landslide susceptibility maps is evaluated by a receiver operating characteristic curve and the area under the curve is used to quantify and compare the prediction accuracy of the models. The certainty factor model performs best. This model is optimized by maximizing the difference between the true positive rate and the false positive rate. The optimal model correctly identifies 84% of the observed landslides. The results are verified with a validation test, whereby the model is calibrated with 75% randomly selected observed landslides, while the remaining 25% of the observed landslides are used for validation. The validation test correctly identifies 81% of the observed landslides in the training set and 73% of the observed landslides in the validation set. View Full-Text
Keywords: landslide; natural hazard; statistical index; logistic regression; certainty factor; Vietnam landslide; natural hazard; statistical index; logistic regression; certainty factor; Vietnam
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited (CC BY 4.0).
SciFeed

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Long, N.T.; De Smedt, F. Analysis and Mapping of Rainfall-Induced Landslide Susceptibility in A Luoi District, Thua Thien Hue Province, Vietnam. Water 2019, 11, 51.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Water EISSN 2073-4441 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top