Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Sustainable Countryside Perspectives – Cohesion between Rural Geography and Tourism"
A special issue of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050). This special issue belongs to the section "Tourism, Culture, and Heritage".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (1 December 2021) | Viewed by 21253
Special Issue Editors
Interests: rural development; rural economy; agritourism; tourism’s impact assessment; community-based economic planning
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Interests: competency-based approach in tourism education; educational tourism; sustainable development; socio-cultural environment; project training
Special Issue Information
All over the globe, rural areas are changing rapidly. Rural geography and rural tourism, as evolving approaches to sustainable planning of the countryside, aim to provide economic, social, cultural, and environmental advantages to community members while enhancing sustainable principles at the local level. Despite diverse publishing advancements in the last decades, insights into the nature of contemporary rural studies are currently lacking in the literature. The need for more research to be conducted to further advance the literature by addressing significant research issues and challenges has thus been highlighted. This is essentially the motivation for launching the current Special Issue.
Integrating empirical and theoretical activities, sustainability mechanisms, and the wellbeing of rural communities serve as the focus for this Special Issue. Conceptual and empirical, quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-method studies are all welcome. The Special Issue will be particularly focused on original contributions to rural geography and tourism theory considered as novel and interesting in the broad category of sustainable rural studies, although they should adhere to the mission of publishing works with a theoretical focus with implications that are generalizable beyond a specific city or country.
I encourage authors to submit original research articles, reviews, critical perspectives, case studies, and viewpoint articles on topics including, but not limited to, the following:
- Contemporary trends in rural geography;
- Rural tourism as a part of global tendencies in the travel industry;
- Methodological aspects of the overall rural development and welfare of the countryside;
- Rural geographical research fostering resilience in the face of rural communities’ problems and events;
- Role of rural tourism in the sustainability principles: worldwide examples and comparisons;
- The processes of assessing rural strategies’ contributions to sustainability;
- Stakeholder involvement in rural economy and community-based development;
- The evolution of rural tourism, its history, assessments, and contemporary organization;
- Lessons learned from geographical research and practice of non-urban community organization and perspective;
- Conceptual connections of inclusion, resilience, and other ideas to local economy;
- Case studies of rural tourism management, covering successes and failures as appropriate;
- The evolution and future of rural planning and progress.
Dr. Marko D. Petrović
Dr. Julia A. Syromiatnikova
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- community-based development
- local economy
- rural tourism
- rural geography
- sustainable policy
- locals’ wellbeing
- impact assessment