Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Membranes (ISSN 2077-0375) is an international, peer-reviewed, open access journal. The journal covers the broad aspects of the science and technology of both biological and non-biological membranes, including membrane dynamics and the preparation and characterization of membranes and their applications in water, environment, energy, and food industries. Membranes provides a forum for publishing papers that advance our understanding of membrane structure, performance, processes, and applications covering membrane chemistry, physics, engineering, and biology. The journal publishes original reviews, research articles, and short communications. Authors are encouraged to publish their experimental and theoretical results in as much detail as possible. Thus, there is no restriction on the length of the papers. Full experimental, theoretical, and computational details must be provided so that the results can be reproduced.
- membranes in industrial sciences
- membrane materials: inorganic membranes (ceramic membranes, metallic membranes, membranes from carbon-based or 2D/1D materials), polymeric membranes, ion-conducting polymer/hybrid membranes and their relevance to electrochemical devices (e.g., batteries, supercapacitors, and fuel cells), mixed matrix membranes, responsive membranes, nanostructured membranes, smart membranes, etc.
- membrane preparation and characterization: synthesis and modification techniques, including nano-assembly and layer-by-layer nanotechnologies, of membrane materials, membrane formation mechanisms, characterization and analysis of membrane structure and function, transport phenomena, development of new characterization methods.
- membrane processes: filtration (MF, UF, NF), reverse osmosis, forward osmosis, dialysis, electrolysis, electro-membrane processes, membrane contactors (e.g., membrane distillation, crystallization, emulsification), interface interactions, emerging and catalytic processes, integrated or hybrid membrane processes, mass transfer, positioning of membrane processes in new fields of application, improvement of existing processes.
- modeling and simulation: molecular simulation of membrane structure and function, modeling transport through membranes and modules, modeling and simulation of membrane systems, modeling and prediction of the performance of membrane processes.
- operation and modules design: module and configuration design, membrane reactors, bioreactors, catalytic/photocatalytic membrane reactors, fouling and cleaning.
- membrane applications: a broad variety of applications in water treatment (e.g., water purification, desalination), gas separation (e.g., carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS), biogas upgrading), energy storage and utilization (e.g., hydrogen generation), biotechnology (e.g., bio-refinery), food, textiles, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, advanced applications in future materials and devices (e.g., biosensors, electrochemical devices).
- membranes in life sciences: cellular membrane structure, function and biomolecular organization and dynamics, fluidity and composition, model membranes and liposomes, membrane proteins, membrane traffic, receptors, channels and anchoring mechanisms, cellular signaling, cell morphology, membrane chromatography, membrane surface studies and ligand interactions.
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Membranes is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Membranes will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
Announcement and Advertisement
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is .
For further MDPI contacts, see here.