Special Issue "Green Wireless Networks"
A special issue of Applied Sciences (ISSN 2076-3417). This special issue belongs to the section "Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 March 2017).
Interests: wireless communications; 5G networks and architectures; energy efficient protocols; resource allocation; Software Defined Networks
Interests: wireless networks; wireless optical communications; Internet of things; network planning and optimization; resource management
Interests: Green mobile access networks and 5G; Software Defined Networks; cognitive networks and ICT for Green
Enhancing energy efficiency is one of the main drivers for the design of next generation communication networks, with significant social, economic and environmental benefits. There is a dire need for green solutions to limit the carbon footprint and achieve significant reduction in energy bills for both consumers and industry, especially given the increasing network infrastructure required to support ubiquitous and fast connectivity, and the extensive deployment of smart connected devices towards the emerging Internet of Things (IoT) paradigm. Furthermore, the entry of new trends and technologies, such as Software Defined Networking (SDN), content-centric networking (with content caching and distribution networks (CDNs)) and cloud/fog computing, as well as the current drive for resource sharing among multiple tenants, supported by advances in wireless virtualization techniques and infrastructure/spectrum sharing interoperator agreements, offer new possibilities for efficient energy management in wireless systems. Finally, wireless communications are a key enabler for other innovative green technologies such as smart grids and smart homes and cities, which encourage the use of renewable energy sources and aim to bring down both the energy usage and cost.
This Special Issue of the journal Applied Sciences, “Green Wireless Networks”, aims to attract novel contributions covering this wide range of energy-related solutions for green and sustainable wireless networks. Our topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- energy-efficient algorithms, protocols and mechanisms for wireless systems, spanning from sensor networks to LTE deployments,
- renewable energy sources, energy harvesting techniques and power management towards energy neutral operation and network lifetime extension
- power-saving mechanisms, advanced signal processing and switching off techniques
- green algorithms for wireless networking in smart grids/smart homes and cities
- energy-aware architectures and strategies for data caching, content distribution networks (CDNs), SDN and cloud/fog networking
- advanced network sharing techniques, including virtualization, infrastructure and spectrum sharing, to reduce energy consumption
Dr. Elli Kartsakli
Prof. Dr. Di Yuan
Dr. Fabrizio Granelli
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Green networking
- Energy neutral operation
- Energy-aware caching and CDNs
- Green architectures for 5G (SDN, cloud/fog networking, etc.)
- Wireless connectivity for smart grids, smart homes/cities
- Energy-efficient network sharing techniques (virtualization, resource slicing, etc.)
- Policies, regulations and modeling of interoperator agreements for resource sharing
- Energy harvesting and power management