Special Issue "Emerging Paradigms and Architectures for Industry 4.0 Applications"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 March 2021.
Interests: blockchain; Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT); cybersecurity; fog computing; Internet of Things; Cyber-Physical Systems; Industry 4.0; wearables; Augmented Reality; Traceability
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Interests: blockchain; intelligent transportation systems; wireless sensor networks; fog computing; edge computing; industrial internet of things (IIoT); RFID; wireless communications; cybersecurity; augmented reality; industry 4.0; traceability
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Interests: networked embedded systems; cyber-physical systems; systems of systems; wireless sensor networks; edge computing; fog computing; green computing; green communications; IoT; IIoT; industry 4.0; indoor positioning; smart sensors; signal processing; data analytics; visual analytics
The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR), called “Industry 4.0” in Europe, “Industrial Internet” in the U.S. or “Made in China 2025” in China, blurs the boundaries between the physical, digital and biological worlds in order to improve manufacturing processes.
4IR-enabling technologies such as the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Industrial Cyber–Physical Systems (ICPS), novel computing paradigms (fog, mist and edge computing), digital twin, augmented/mixed reality, and Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT) like blockchain or advanced wireless sensor networks, can enable novel cyber-secure, resilient, collaborative and human-centric computing and communications architectures to improve manufacturing processes in diverse aspects related to data collection, data communications, storage, authentication, reliability, scalability, communications latency, energy efficiency, standardization, interoperability, mobility or security.
This Special Issue aims to report the latest advances in architectures, paradigms and applications in the ever-increasing complex ecosystem of smart manufacturing. Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Challenges, visions and concepts for Industry 4.0;
- Novel architectures for the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT);
- Industrial applications of the Internet of Things (IoT) such as green manufacturing, agile manufacturing, predictive maintenance and zero-defect production;
- Novel network infrastructures for IIoT;
- IIoT data analytics, data aggregation, data abstraction and event detection;
- Cybersecurity in IIoT environments;
- Cognitive IIoT;
- Cloud, fog, mist, edge and mobile edge computing architectures for industrial scenarios;
- Industrial Cyber–Physical Systems (ICPS);
- Advances in the application of Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT) (e.g., Blockchain, IOTA) to industrial scenarios;
- Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks;
- Low-Power Wide-Area Network (LPWAN) technologies (e.g., LoRa, SigFox, NB-IoT) for Industry 4.0 applications;
- Localization and tracking technologies for Industry 4.0;
- Energy harvesting techniques for industrial scenarios;
- Advanced sensors for Industry 4.0 applications;
- Novel sensing strategies for process monitoring and product traceability;
- Human–machine interfaces and interactions in human-centric smart industrial systems;
- Advanced machine learning and artificial intelligence for Industry 4.0;
- Digital twins.
Dr. Paula Fraga-Lamas
Prof. Dr. Tiago M. Fernández-Caramés
Prof. Dr. Sérgio I. Lopes
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Industry 4.0
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
- Cloud, fog, mist, edge and mobile edge computing
- Industrial Cyber–Physical Systems (ICPS)
- Human-Machine Interfaces
- Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks
- Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT)
- Low-Power Wide-Area Network (LPWAN)
- Advanced sensors
- Cybersecurity in IIoT
- Cognitive IIoT