Next Article in Journal
Mid-Frequency Hearing Loss Is Characteristic Clinical Feature of OTOA-Associated Hearing Loss
Previous Article in Journal
NCBI’s Virus Discovery Hackathon: Engaging Research Communities to Identify Cloud Infrastructure Requirements
Previous Article in Special Issue
Predicting miRNA-Disease Associations by Incorporating Projections in Low-Dimensional Space and Local Topological Information
Open AccessArticle

Expression of ZNF695 Transcript Variants in Childhood B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

1
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, Research Department, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City 04530, Mexico
2
Research Methodology Department, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City 04530, Mexico
3
Department of Pediatric Oncology, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City 04530, Mexico
4
Department of Hematology, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City 04530, Mexico
5
Division of Pediatric Hem/Oncology, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City 04530, Mexico
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Genes 2019, 10(9), 716; https://doi.org/10.3390/genes10090716
Received: 10 June 2019 / Revised: 17 August 2019 / Accepted: 10 September 2019 / Published: 16 September 2019
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Associations Between Non-Coding RNA and Diseases)
B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most commonly diagnosed childhood malignancy worldwide; more than 50% of these cases are diagnosed in Mexico. Although the five-year survival rate is >80%, 30% of patients experience relapse with poor prognosis. Cancer-associated gene expression profiles have been identified in several malignancies, and some transcripts have been used to predict disease prognosis. The human transcriptome is incompletely elucidated; moreover, more than 80% of transcripts can be processed via alternative splicing (AS), which increases transcript and protein diversity. The human transcriptome is divided; coding RNA accounts for ~2%, and the remaining 98% is noncoding RNA. Noncoding RNA can undergo AS, promoting the diversity of noncoding transcripts. We designed specific primers to amplify previously reported alternative transcript variants of ZNF695 and showed that six ZNF695 transcript variants are co-expressed in cancer cell lines. The amplicons were sequenced and identified. Additionally, we analyzed the expression of these six transcript variants in bone marrow from B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients and observed that ZNF695 transcript variants one and three were the predominant variants expressed in leukemia. Moreover, our results showed the co-expression of coding and long noncoding RNA. Finally, we observed that long noncoding RNA ZNF695 expression predicted survival rates. View Full-Text
Keywords: ZNF695; lncRNAs; leukemia; gene expression ZNF695; lncRNAs; leukemia; gene expression
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

De la Rosa, R.; Villegas-Ruíz, V.; Caballero-Palacios, M.C.; Pérez-López, E.I.; Murata, C.; Zapata-Tarres, M.; Cárdenas-Cardos, R.; Paredes-Aguilera, R.; Rivera-Luna, R.; Juárez-Méndez, S. Expression of ZNF695 Transcript Variants in Childhood B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Genes 2019, 10, 716.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop