Next Article in Journal
Technological Progress and Supply Base under Uncertain Market Conditions: The Case Study of the Taiwanese c-Si Solar Industry 2016–2019
Previous Article in Journal
A Study of Design Variables in Daylight and Energy Performance in Residential Buildings under Hot Climates
Article

Experimental Investigation and Energy Performance Simulation of Mongolian Ger with ETS Heater and Solar PV in Ulaanbaatar City

1
Department of Natural and Social Science, Institute of Railway, bldg. 2, Peace avenue, Bayangol district, Ulaanbaatar 18104, Mongolia
2
Renewable Energy Laboratory, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, National University of Mongolia, bldg. 3, Ikh Sruguuliin gudamj-3, Sukhbaatar District, Ulaanbaatar 14201, Mongolia
3
Department of Electrical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo University of Science, Katsushika campus, 6 Chome-3-1, Niijuku, Katsushika City, Tokyo 123-8585, Japan
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Energies 2020, 13(21), 5840; https://doi.org/10.3390/en13215840
Received: 26 July 2020 / Revised: 30 September 2020 / Accepted: 19 October 2020 / Published: 9 November 2020
(This article belongs to the Section Energy and Buildings)
There are approximately 200,000 households living in detached houses and gers (yurts) with small coal stoves that burn raw coal in Ulaanbaatar city. A proper heating system and improvement of the energy efficiency of residential dwellings are vitally important for Ulaanbaatar city to reduce air pollution as well as for the operation of the current central energy system. This study shows the experimental results for two gers with two different heating systems and different thermal insulation, for investigating the merits of each. The technical feasibility of the system consisting of an electric thermal storage (ETS) heater with a daytime charging schedule and areal photovoltaic (PV) system was also examined by using a simulation with software developed in MATLAB (R2020a, MathWorks, USA). As a result of the experiment, the indoor comfort level and energy efficiency of the ger with added insulation and an ETS heater with nighttime charging were shown to be enhanced compared with those of the reference ger. The ger with added insulation and the ETS heater consumed 3169 kWh for electric appliances and 5989 kWh for the heating season. The simulation showed that the PV self-consumption rate is 76% for the Ger 2 with the ETS heater because of the daytime charging schedule of the ETS heater. The PV system supplied 31% of the total energy consumed, with the remaining 69% from the main grid. View Full-Text
Keywords: experimentation; energy simulation; ETS heater; Mongolian ger; solar PV experimentation; energy simulation; ETS heater; Mongolian ger; solar PV
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Bayandelger, B.-E.; Ueda, Y.; Adiyabat, A. Experimental Investigation and Energy Performance Simulation of Mongolian Ger with ETS Heater and Solar PV in Ulaanbaatar City. Energies 2020, 13, 5840. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13215840

AMA Style

Bayandelger B-E, Ueda Y, Adiyabat A. Experimental Investigation and Energy Performance Simulation of Mongolian Ger with ETS Heater and Solar PV in Ulaanbaatar City. Energies. 2020; 13(21):5840. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13215840

Chicago/Turabian Style

Bayandelger, Bat-Erdene, Yuzuru Ueda, and Amarbayar Adiyabat. 2020. "Experimental Investigation and Energy Performance Simulation of Mongolian Ger with ETS Heater and Solar PV in Ulaanbaatar City" Energies 13, no. 21: 5840. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13215840

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop