Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Performance, Power and Energy-Efficiency Optimization in Computer Architectures"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 3 March 2020.
Interests: high performance and parallel computing; micro-architectures for general purpose and specialized processors; computer arithmetic; cryptographic systems; multimedia systems
Interests: computer architectures; specialized and dedicated structures for digital signal processing; heterogeneous processing structures (GPU, FPGA, and hybrid accelerators); parallel processing and high-performance computing systems; energy-aware computing; multimedia systems design
To satisfy the growing demands for higher application performance and reduced power and energy consumption, performance and energy efficiency optimization have become a fundamental constraint and requisite, embracing the processor architectures (homogeneous/heterogeneous many-core GPPs), the accelerators and co-processors (e.g., APUs, GPUs), and even the embedded domain (e.g., SoCs, FPGAs, ASICs), where the development of energy-saving methodologies is a fundamental issue not only for mobile, hand-held, and wireless applications but also to reach exascale computing.
The need to satisfy the required performance levels, as well as the new thermal, power, and energy constraints, requires the definition of innovative solutions to attain an effective optimization of the offered throughput and/or minimization of the power/energy consumption. Among many other research directions, this challenge naturally involves the design of high-performance and energy-efficient architectures and communication infrastructures, as well as the development of novel algorithms and tools comprising the scheduling, mapping, load-balancing, and scalability, together with innovative compilation techniques.
The goal of this Special Issue is to collect novel contributions covering the prevailing issues and prominent challenges related to optimizing the performance, power, and energy efficiency in computing devices and systems.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Computer architecture trends for performance and energy efficiency:
- ISA diversity and morphable structures;
- Run-time reconfiguration/adaptation and dynamic scalability;
- CPU accelerator co-design (GPUs, APUs, FPGAs, etc.);
- Heterogeneous and parallel processing architectures;
- Approximate computing techniques and architectures;
- Neuromorphic architectures.
- Energy/power management and control:
- Run-time power/energy monitoring and sensing;
- Performance, power, energy and heat/temperature modeling;
- Dynamic voltage and frequency scaling (DVFS);
- Power/clock gating strategies;
- Performance vs. power/energy scaling and management.
- Tools and algorithms:
- Programming languages, compilers, and models for energy-aware computing;
- Profiling and simulation tools for heat/power/energy estimation;
- Scheduling, mapping and task/thread migration policies for performance and power/energy optimization;
- Performance- and energy-aware resource management;
- Operating system support and energy management tools.
Prof. Leonel Sousa
Dr. Nuno Roma
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Energies is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.