Special Issue "Ethical and Welfare Dimensions of the Management of Unwanted Wildlife"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 July 2015).
Interests: animal welfare policy and standards; vertebrate pest management; animal welfare; humane endpoints
Interests: animal welfare (particularly wildlife and pest animals), behavioural science, assessment of animal welfare impacts, humane slaughter methods
The management of unwanted wildlife brings with it significant challenges for the people and animals involved. It is complicated for having intentional and unintentional, and direct and indirect, impacts – many of which we don’t fully understand or take into account. Understanding these challenges, and balancing the competing community, animal and environmental interests, is necessary for the ongoing effective and acceptable management of these animals.
We would like to invite original articles addressing these dimensions of the management of unwanted wildlife and vertebrate pests. Articles are particularly welcome on:
- the impacts of control and management techniques
- aspects of human-animal interaction including attitudes to animals, their control and particular techniques
- balancing social, economic, environmental and animal welfare aspects when managing unwanted wildlife
- practical solutions for incorporating animal welfare considerations into control and management programs
- considering animal welfare and wildlife management in the context of conservation
- alternative management strategies for pest animal species e.g. commercial and recreational hunting and fishing
- development and impacts of new technologies, and
- challenges for managing unwanted wildlife and vertebrate pests into the future
Dr. Kate Littin
Dr. Trudy Sharp
Dr. Ngaio Beausoleil
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Animals is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- vertebrate pest management
- wildlife management
- animal welfare
- human-wildlife conflict