Special Issue "Sustainable Management of the Earth System"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 December 2020.
Since the advent of the Anthropocene, globalization has turned the issue of sustainability more and more into a planetary-scale problem, playing out in a “World–Earth system” that consists of both social and natural subsystems which interact strongly on several time-scales. Short- and long-term sustainable management, governance, and stewardship of Earth thus require systemic, interdisciplinary approaches, based on new kinds of models that take seriously not only the complex, nonlinear, and networked nature of the system, but also the reality of the global political economy, basic sociopsychological insights, and the conflicting interests and differing levels of agency and responsibility of agents at different institutionalized levels of decision-making and of different generations, cultures, and social strata.
To advance a research agenda focused on the topic of sustainable management of the Earth system, please send research papers on the following and related topics:
- Identifying safe and just operating spaces, assessing global resilience, and identifying critical intervention points via World–Earth models;
- Assessing the agency and responsibility of keystone actors via next-generation integrated assessment models;
- Identifying sustainable and stable long-term management strategies and pathways using optimal control, viability theory, or machine learning;
- Dynamic interactions between planetary boundaries, social foundations, and limits to growth in view of social and natural tipping elements;
- Intergenerational welfare, population ethics, changes in norms and values, and short-term vs. long-term sustainability;
- Political economy and social psychology of global sustainability;
- Mechanisms for international and multilevel cooperation and coordination of agents in view of conflicting interests and bounded rationality.
Dr. Jobst Heitzig
Dr. Jean-Denis Mathias
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.