Special Issue "Internet of Things (IoT) for Preventive Conservation of Cultural Heritage"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 July 2021.
We are preparing a Special Issue of Sustainability focused on 'Internet of Things (IoT) for Preventive Conservation of Cultural Heritage'.
In recent years, the Internet of Things (IoT) paradigm has proven to be particularly suitable to support the conservation of Cultural Heritage (CH). IoT can offer a wide range of technologies and approaches to serve different purposes at different levels, from the monitoring of individual objects to the complete monitoring of buildings.
IoT could be key to simplify the practical application of current standards of preventive conservation or to predict the degradation of objects based on the information gathered.
Furthermore, real-time IoT approaches could be crucial to minimize the impact of humans (tourism, vandalism, etc.) and accidents (fires, water leaks, etc.), thus contributing to both short- and long-term conservation.
The purpose of this Special Issue of Sustainability is to collect and discuss recent advances in the Internet of Things applied to any aspect of Cultural Heritage conservation, including topics such as but not limited to:
- IoT applied to the sustainability of Cultural Heritage
- Wireless technologies election for Cultural Heritage site monitoring
- Climatic change monitoring applied to Cultural Heritage
- RFID technologies applied to Cultural Heritage
- Applicability of preventive conservation standards using IoT
- IoT applied to the impact of tourism on Cultural Heritage sites
- IoT collected data valorization. Big data analytics
- Machine learning/artificial intelligence applied to preservation of Cultural Heritage
- IoT applied to disaster mitigation in CH buildings
- IoT to anticipate threats in Cultural Heritage
- Structural monitoring of historical buildings
- IoT applied to conservation of archaeological heritage at risk
Prof. Dr. Angel Perles
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1900 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- cultural heritage
- preventive conservation standards
- wireless sensors
- climate change
- big data
- machine learning