sustainability-logo

Journal Browser

Journal Browser

Green and Sustainable Textile Materials

A special issue of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050).

Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 November 2023) | Viewed by 5017

Special Issue Editors


E-Mail Website
Guest Editor
Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems, School of chemical engineering, Aalto University, 02150 Espoo, Finland
Interests: sustainability in the textile industry; sustainable dyeing; textile recycling; circular economy; LCA; UN-SDGs; fast fashion; microplastics
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals

E-Mail Website
Guest Editor
Department of Material Engineering, Technical University of Liberec, Liberec, Czech Republic
Interests: textile materials; sustainability; colorations; finishing; surface modifications
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals

Special Issue Information

Dear Colleagues,

The entire textile-production process, from the production of fiber through to the finished garment, poses a significant threat to the environment. The production of sustainable textiles not only helps to lessen the textile industry’s harmful impacts on the environment, but it also enables millions of people to receive fair pay and ensures that they are provided with appropriate working conditions. In general, the textile industry creates significant climate changes (SDG 13), water pollution (SDGs 14 and 6), and land pollution (SDG 15) during production, from fiber production to finished garments. The concept of “reduce, reuse, and recycle” is widely used to highlight sustainability, with the goal of encouraging individuals and corporations to reduce the resources they use.

This Special Issue focuses on the significance of using green and sustainable textile materials in all stages of the manufacturing process, from fiber to garment. In this issue, we are paying special attention to green and sustainable textiles and fashion, throughout all five stages of the product life cycle (i.e., material, manufacturing, retail, consumption, and disposal). Additional focus is being placed on social responsibility, environmentally responsible management of supply chains, and environmentally conscious product design in the textile and apparel industries. Communications, full papers, and reviews from authors all over the world are encouraged for submission to this Special Issue, with particular interest in submissions from interdisciplinary research teams working in academia, government, and industry.

Dr. Aravin Prince Periyasamy
Prof. Dr. Jiri Militky
Guest Editors

Manuscript Submission Information

Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.

Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.

Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.

Keywords

  • sustainable textile product innovation
  • green processing
  • sustainability practices
  • sustainable product development
  • fashion
  • textile
  • sustainable supply chain
  • circular textile economy
  • waste valorization
  • risk
  • circular economy
  • biomaterials
  • climate impacts
  • recycling
  • clothes
  • waste
  • life cycle assessment

Published Papers (1 paper)

Order results
Result details
Select all
Export citation of selected articles as:

Review

41 pages, 7217 KiB  
Review
Recent Advances in the Remediation of Textile-Dye-Containing Wastewater: Prioritizing Human Health and Sustainable Wastewater Treatment
by Aravin Prince Periyasamy
Sustainability 2024, 16(2), 495; https://doi.org/10.3390/su16020495 - 5 Jan 2024
Cited by 14 | Viewed by 4422
Abstract
Water makes up most of the Earth, although just 0.3% is usable for people and animals. The huge oceans, icecaps, and other non-potable water resources make up the remaining 99.7%. Water quality has declined in recent decades due to pollution from population growth, [...] Read more.
Water makes up most of the Earth, although just 0.3% is usable for people and animals. The huge oceans, icecaps, and other non-potable water resources make up the remaining 99.7%. Water quality has declined in recent decades due to pollution from population growth, industry, unplanned urbanization, and poor water management. The textile industry has significant global importance, although it also stands as a major contributor to wastewater generation, leading to water depletion and ecotoxicity. This issue arises from the extensive utilization of harmful chemicals, notably dyes. The main aim of this review article is to combine and assess the impacts of textile wastewater that contains dyes and chemicals, and to examine their potential consequences on human health, aquatic health, and the environment. Moreover, the dedicated section presents an in-depth review of various environmentally sustainable approaches for the management and treatment of wastewater in the textile industry. These approaches encompass bio adsorbents, biological methods, membrane technology, ion exchange, advanced oxidation processes, as well as physicochemical and biochemical processes. Furthermore, this study also evaluates the contemporary progressions in this particular domain, taking into account the corresponding advantages and disadvantages. Finally, this article highlights the significance of recovering and reusing dyes, alkalis, and electrolytes in wastewater treatment. Additionally, it emphasizes the necessity of performing technoeconomic analyses and life cycle assessments (LCA) on wastewater treatment plants. Full article
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Green and Sustainable Textile Materials)
Show Figures

Figure 1

Back to TopTop