Special Issue "Architectures and Protocols for Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks"
A special issue of Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks (ISSN 2224-2708).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 December 2020.
Interests: Internet of Things; wireless communications; cross-layer protocol design
Interests: networked control systems; Industry 4.0; machine learning
Wireless technologies enable seamless integration of communication, control, and computation. Data transmission, sensing, control, and actuation applications are converging to the Internet of Things (IoT), with billions of wireless devices deployed to intelligently interconnect people, objects, and machines. New applications such as tactile Internet, remote surgery, augmented or virtual reality (AR/VR), and autonomous driving, where the mission criticality is a common characteristic, are posing more stringent requirements on reliability, delay, and resilience.
Standards organizations, such as the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), are extensively working on wireless protocol enhancements to support these demands. Accurate and computationally affordable techniques for protocol modeling and optimization are then fundamental to guarantee the integration of large-scale networks with a variety of potentially competing service requirements over the same physical medium. Energy-efficient operations, adaptability to heterogeneous and strict requirements, and interoperability represent challenging aspects that need to be addressed. In this context, stochastic network optimization and machine learning techniques are powerful tools that can be used in combination with currently used analytical approaches.
This Special Issue targets scientific contributions on wireless sensor/actuator networks and systems (WSANs) addressing heterogeneous and strict communication requirements (hopefully in combination), such as reliability and robustness, timeliness and real-time, scalability, mobility, security and privacy, and energy efficiency and sustainability. We are interested in papers dealing with innovative solutions that have been sufficiently evaluated through analytical, simulation or experimental models (hopefully in combination). Extensions to previously published works are accepted, but it needs to be clearly stated in the submission, and the new contribution needs to be clear.
Topics of interest are:
- Communication standards and technologies for wireless sensor and actuator networks, e.g. IEEE 802.11, WiFi, IEEE 802.15.4, ZigBee, Bluetooth Low Energy, NB-IoT, RFID, and their integration/interoperability;
- System architectures and communication infrastructures to fulfill strict performance requirements; scalability;
- Cross-layer protocol design: MAC and PHY interactions, wireless network integration, and interoperability with wired systems;
- Reliability and robustness: improving communication error detection/correction, hardware robustness, systems reliability in general;
- Timeliness and real-time operations: improving the timing behavior and reducing end-to-end communication delays;
- Security and privacy: new mechanisms to grant adequate levels of security/privacy without jeopardizing energy and time;
- Mobility: mechanisms to support mobile devices in a seamless and transparent way, i.e., still respecting the overall performance requirements;
- Energy efficiency and harvesting: improving lifetime, e.g., through optimized communications scheduling or duty-cycling and trade-offs between energy and performance;
- Real-case applications, such as in building and industrial automation, vehicular networks or security/surveillance.
Dr. Piergiuseppe Di Marco
Dr. Pangun Park
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- wireless sensor networks
- heterogeneous requirements
- energy-efficient operation