Special Issue "Biochar: A Substance for Sustainable Agriculture"
A special issue of Environments (ISSN 2076-3298).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 May 2019).
Interests: the role of biochar in transition to biobased economy; life cycle management and life cycle assessment (LCA); waste managment, circular economy; sustainable food and bioenergy systems
There are several opportunities for biochar to contribute to sustainable agriculture. These include:
- the mitigation of climate change through the sequestration of carbon in agricultural soils;
- increased resilience of farming systems to drought or pests;
- the provision of bioenergy through pyrolysis of agricultural residues for biochar production;
- the reduction of nutrient leakage from soils;
- the reduction of nitrous oxide and methane emissions from soils and manure management;
- increases in yields;
- nutrient cycling within agroecosystems when agricultural residues are used as feedstocks for biochar that is returned to agricultural soils;
- the cycling of nutrients and organic matter from cities and industries back to agriculture.
This Special Issue welcomes contributions on the above topics. Others topics that link biochar to opportunities or risks for sustainable agriculture are also encouraged, including social perspecitves, policy, and economics. Manuscripts that apply a systems view on biochar in agriculture are particularly welcome.
Dr. Cecilia Sundberg
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Environments is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- plant nutrients
- farming systems
- carbon sequestration