Special Issue "Microbial Electrochemical Technologies for Resource-Efficient Waste Management"
A special issue of Environments (ISSN 2076-3298).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2018).
Interests: N–E–W (nutrient–energy–water) nexus; biofuels; desalination and wastewater treatment
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Energies: Renewable Energy for Water Desalination
Special Issue in Sustainability: Sustainable Food-Energy-Water (FEW) Nexus
Current wastewater treatment technologies are energy-intensive and resource-demanding. Energy-efficient innovative technologies are essential for wastewater treatment and waste minimization. At the same time, there is a growing need for resource (water, nutrients and valuable chemicals and metals) recovery for sustainable management of natural sources, in an effort to meet the rising demands for energy/food/water due to escalating populations across the world. Among the many solutions, microbial electrochemical systems provide unique opportunities for recovering these valuable sources while contributing environmental protection.
Highlights of the topics included in this special issue are, but not limited to:
- Wastewater treatment in microbial electrochemical technologies (microbial fuel cells, microbial electrolysis cells, microbial desalination, capacitive deionization, and MXCs)
- Integrated microbial electrochemical technologies for energy and resource recovery
- Critical assessment, evaluation and reviews on the future of various bioelectrochemical principles, technologies and applications
- Non-conventional and industrial wastewater treatment such as oil and gas produced waters
- Theoretic development and modelling/simulation studies and process optimization
- Materials, design configurations, scale-up and applications (recovery of valuable chemicals and metals) of MXCs
Life cycle analysis and techno-economic feasibility of microbial electrochemical technologies along with pilot scale studies
Prof. Dr. Veera Gnaneswar Gude
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Environments is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- bioelectrochemical systems
- environmental protection
- integrated resource management
- life cycle analysis
- microbial electrochemical technologies
- scale-up of bioelectrochemical systems
- sustainable wastewater treatment
- techno-economics and cost-benefit analysis
- theoretical development and modeling
- water and resource recovery