Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Algorithms and Calculations in Fiber Optics and Photonics"
A special issue of Algorithms (ISSN 1999-4893). This special issue belongs to the section "Algorithms for Multidisciplinary Applications".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 September 2023 | Viewed by 2856
Special Issue Editors
Interests: simulation; photonics; automated measurements; coding; data processing; distributed fiber-optic sensors; superconductivity
Interests: photonics; automated measurements; coding; data processing; distributed fiber-optic sensors; fiber-optic metrology
Special Issue Information
The rapid development of fiber optics and photonics technologies in recent decades has posed a number of computational challenges.
Even the simplest task of information transfer from one point to another requires a complex simulation of radiation propagation in various media, including optical fibers and integrated optics elements, considering nonlinear effects and other aspects.
Fiber optics sensing always deals with huge amounts of data. Data visualization and data analysis are based on sophisticated algorithms. Backscattering data mathematical processing not only affects sensors’ accuracy and sensitivity but can also extract information on individual physical quantities (temperature, deformation, etc.) and values. These algorithms are constantly being improved and optimized. The use of signal encoding techniques can improve sensor characteristics such as spatial resolution by orders of magnitude.
Big data analysis is used by scientists involved in different fiber optic measurements. Raw data from devices obtained during the study or the testing of various components are also subject to mandatory algorithmic processing. Additionally, artificial intelligence and machine learning methods are becoming increasingly popular. They are used quite effectively, both in cooperation with traditional algorithms and as their alternative.
The list of fiber optics applications where algorithms are intensively and effectively used is almost endless. We are pleased to announce the Special Issue of the Algorithms journal called "Algorithms and Calculations in Fiber Optics and Photonics" (in collaboration with Optical Reflectometry, Metrology & Sensing 2023—ORMS 2023, https://or-2023.permsc.ru/).
This special edition includes, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Algorithms for the radiation propagation simulation in various media;
- Algorithmic implementation of optoelectronic devices and their components’ models, as well as the phenomena that occur in them;
- Fiber-optic sensors’ probe sequences coding and decoding techniques for the received signals;
- Algorithms for visualizing backscatter data in optical fibers, cables and integrated-optics elements;
- New algorithms and optimization of existing methods for signal processing in fiber-optic sensors;
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning in fiber optics and photonics;
- Automated calculations in optical metrology;
- Control algorithms for optoelectronic devices and systems;
- Fiber-optic and integrated-optical elements’ manufacturing automation methods.
Dr. Fedor L. Barkov
Dr. Yuri Konstantinov
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Algorithms is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- algorithms for radiation propagation simulation in various media
- algorithmic implementation of optoelectronic devices and their components’ models, as well as the phenomena that occur in them
- fiber-optic sensors probe sequences’ coding and decoding techniques for the received signals
- algorithms for visualizing backscatter data in optical fibers, cables and integrated-optics elements
- new algorithms and optimization of existing methods for signal processing in fiber-optic sensors
- artificial intelligence and machine learning in fiber optics and photonics
- automated calculations in optical metrology
- control algorithms for optoelectronic devices and systems
- fiber-optic and integrated-optical elements’ manufacturing automation methods