Miniaturized and Micro Actuators
A section of Actuators (ISSN 2076-0825).
Downsizing an actuator is a basic task when it comes to operating miniaturized, micro, and nanosystems. The design of such a servomechanism implies the transformation of a certain amount of energy and subsequently power control and transmission. Unfortunately, the design criteria adopted at the macro scale cannot always be applied because of the scaling phenomena, and so, a new paradigm for actuator design must be set up. Actuation considers parameters that often contrast each other, such as precision in motion, low and independent power, large displacement, actuation force, and integration with the other subsystem. Therefore, different methods and physical principles and different actuation types have been employed, such as electrostatic, piezoelectric, thermal, fluid, and even electromagnetic, but a long and arduous road remains ahead.
The Section “Miniaturized and Micro Actuators” is open to original contributions (Articles, Reviews, Communications, et al.) that will help to improve applications. Firstly, the Section promotes a better understanding of the microsystem actuation tasks and principles. Actuation at the micro and nanoscale is strictly related to microelectronics, microcontrol, and microsensing, and so, sensor fusion techniques will also be welcome as topics of interest. Furthermore, original electromechanical designs for miniaturized systems, MEMS, and NEMS will be central to the Section, together with multiphysic simulation, experimental testing methods, and specific technological processes for fabrication. Finally, the Section seeks contributions dedicated to innovative and original applications in the largest possible variety of fields, such as biology, medicine, surgery, ocean engineering, energy, manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Vibration Control Using Electromagnetic Actuators (Deadline: 25 November 2023)
- Conventional and Micromachined Electromagnetic Levitation Actuators (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Design and Application of Actuators with Multi-DOF Movement-2nd Edition (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Micro/Nano Electromechanical Sensors and Actuators (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Recent Advances in the Design and Applications for Magnetoelastic and Electroelastic Actuators (Deadline: 1 December 2023)
- Actuators for Micro-Robots and Bio-Robots (Deadline: 15 January 2024)
- Electromagnetic Actuators (Deadline: 31 January 2024)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series: “MEMS Dynamics and Control” (Deadline: 1 February 2024)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series: Nonlinear Control and Dynamics for MEMS (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Micro/Nano Actuators and Their Applications (Deadline: 30 November 2024)