Special Issue "Sustainability Assessment in Higher Education Institutions"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (15 November 2019).
A printed edition of this Special Issue is available here.
2. CENSE, Center for Environmental and Sustainability Research, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, NOVA School of Science and Technology, NOVA University Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Interests: sustainability assessment; indicators; Higher Education, campus sustainability
Interests: Global Change Biology and Ecology; Marine Biology and Ecology; Zooplankton; Larval Fish; Climate Change and Sustainability
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), within their mission and activities have an important responsibility in the transformation of societies and, in particular, in contributing to the development of a more sustainable society. These Institutions can implement Sustainable Development in different dimensions, according or not to a holistic approach, from education and curricula, campus operation, organizational change management, external community and research to assessment and communication. Ideally, these implementations should be based on a holistic / integrated approach that the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) calls the "Whole-School Approach". Assessment of the effectiveness and impact of these different dimensions allow measuring and evaluating how sustainability is being applied in practice, and allow highlighting weakness, strengths and improvements needed.
The guest editors would like to invite scholars in different disciplines as well as policy-makers and practitioners to submit manuscripts to this Special Issue. We welcome topical discussions in the forms of research articles, review articles, essays, perspectives, which address topics to be applied in HEI such as:
- Integrated sustainability assessment tools and benchmarking;
- Education for Sustainability “Whole-School Approach" implementation;
- Assessment of competences for education for sustainable development;
- Assessment of pedagogical strategies for education for Sustainability;
- Stakeholder engagement and participation processes assessment;
- Drivers and barriers to ES implementation, and strategies to overcome resistance to sustainability implementation;
- Assessment of changing attitudes, behaviors, and lifestyles towards Sustainability;
- Evaluation of policies, programs and strategies to put in practice Education for Sustainability
- Evaluation of the impact of Education for Sustainability actions and approaches at short, medium and long term;
- Innovative approaches and holistic integration in sustainability education (including formal and non formal curricula);
- Assessment of campus sustainability actions
- The role of Higher Education in the efforts to meet the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda.
Prof. Dr. Sandra Caeiro
Prof. Dr. Ulisses Miranda Azeiteiro
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Higher Education
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Sustainability Assessment
- Campus Sustainability
- Education for Sustainability
- Whole-School Approach.