Examining innovations in scholarly communication, culture and evaluation
Aims and Scope
Publications (ISSN 2304-6775) is an international, peer-reviewed, fully open access journal that provides a home for research related to all aspects of scholarly publication and culture. Scholarly publishing is the gateway to the academic record, and it should be studied and critically analysed in all its dimensions with the same rigour expected of other research. Publications aims to provide an interdisciplinary forum for scholars, publishing professionals, librarians, funders, innovative service providers and others to communicate original research on a range of topics that address current issues and inform best practice.
The scope of Publications includes:
- Theory and practices of scholarly communication
- Public access to and engagement with scientific research
- Globalisation of research and the advent of open science
- The social, legal and ethical dimensions of publication
- Digitisation and other innovations in scholarly publishing technologies
- Metadata, standards, infrastructures and linking in the scholarly record
- Financial models and sustainability issues for scholarly publishing
- Copyright, licensing and other legal issues in publishing
- Issues related to peer review and academic governance practices
- Critical bibliometric and scientometric studies, including socio-technical perspectives
- Cultural orientations towards academic productivity and evaluation
- Reproducibility, research integrity and publication ethics
- Issues, opportunities and best practices in the publication of non-traditional research outputs
- Traditional and emerging methodologies in the assessment of research and its scientific and societal impact
- The role of research libraries, scholarly societies, funders and others in scholarly communication
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Publications is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Publications will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is . For further MDPI contacts, see here.
Announcement and Advertisement
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is .
For further MDPI contacts, see here.