Special Issue "Multimedia Sensor Networks for Mission-Critical Surveillance Applications"
A special issue of Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks (ISSN 2224-2708).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2013).
Interests: LoRa technologies; multimedia information on wireless sensor networks; wireless video sensor networks for critical-mission surveillance applications
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
The monitoring capability of Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) make them very suitable for large scale surveillance systems. A large number of applications related to environment (agriculture, water, forest, fire detection,...), military, buildings, health (elderly people, home monitoring,...), disaster relief & emergency management, area and industrial surveillance have already been studied from the WSN perspective. Most of these surveillance applications have very specific needs due to their inherently critical nature associated to security and usually have a high level of criticality which make them difficult to deploy with the current state of technology. Moreover, the purely scalar nature of traditional sensor nodes might be limiting for more complex applications such as object detection, surveillance, recognition, localization, and tracking. Therefore, in addition to traditional sensors, a wide range of emerging WSN applications can be strengthened by introducing multimedia capability such as images. In the domain of surveillance applications that are extremely mission-critical in nature, adding visual capabilities highlights news challenges.
This special issue aims to gather latest research and development achievements in the field of Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks (WMSN) for mission-critical surveillance applications. Original papers that address the most current issues and challenges are solicited. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Real-time and QoS mechanisms
- Dynamic criticality management, dynamic scheduling and dynamic resource management
- Cooperation, cross-layer mechanisms for advanced multimedia traffic management
- Congestion control for real-time multimedia traffic
- Advanced information/data management for mission-critical applications
- Dedicated MAC layers for multimedia traffic targeted to mission-critical applications
- Advanced and adaptive routing schemes for image transfer targeted to mission-critical applications
- Networked sensors and robots for mission-critical applications
- Image sensing techniques for very energy constrained devices
- Optimized and robust image encoding techniques for very energy constrained devices and lossy environments
- Distributed vision processing algorithms and fusion of vision
- 3D scene analysis from distributed image sensors
- Optimized algorithms for multimodal intrusion detection systems
- Multimedia-oriented middleware for mission-critical applications
- Multi-sensor oriented multimedia GIS for disaster management
- Prototypes, proofs-of-concept and new multimedia sensor hardware
Prof. Dr. Congduc Pham
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.