Next Article in Journal
Resistance to Fomesafen, Imazamox and Glyphosate in Euphorbia heterophylla from Brazil
Next Article in Special Issue
Iodine Biofortification of Vegetables Could Improve Iodine Supplementation Status
Previous Article in Journal
Raising Beet Tolerance to Salinity through Bioaugmentation with Halotolerant Endophytes
Previous Article in Special Issue
Impact of Agronomic Biofortification with Zinc on the Nutrient Content, Bioactive Compounds, and Antioxidant Capacity of Cowpea Bean (Vigna unguiculata L. Walpers)
Article

Nutritional and Visual Diagnosis in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) Plants: Disorders in Physiological Activity, Nutritional Efficiency and Metabolism of Carbohydrates

1
Departamento de Produção Vegetal, Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), Via de Acesso Prof. Paulo Donato Castellane, Jaboticabal 14884-900, São Paulo, Brazil
2
Faculdade de Ciências Agrárias, Universidade Federal da Grande Dourados (UFGD), Dourados 79804-970, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
3
Facultad de Recursos Naturales Renovables, Universidad Arturo Prat (UNAP), Avda Arturo Prat, Iquique 1100000, Región de Tarapacá, Chile
4
Departamento de Solos e Adubos, Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), Via de Acesso Prof. Paulo Donato Castellane, Jaboticabal 14884-900, São Paulo, Brazil
5
Departamento de Solos, Universidade Federal de Viçosa (UFV), Av. Peter Henry Rolfs, Viçosa 36570-900, Minas Gerais, Brazil
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Agronomy 2020, 10(10), 1572; https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10101572
Received: 8 September 2020 / Revised: 4 October 2020 / Accepted: 9 October 2020 / Published: 15 October 2020
(This article belongs to the Collection Nutrition Management of Hydroponic Vegetable Crops)
Information on the nutritional status of plants enables adequate fertilisation management. Thus, the aim of this study was to evaluate how nutritional disorders alter the biological, nutritional and biochemical mechanisms of broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) plants grown under greenhouse conditions. A complete nutrient solution and omissions of macronutrients were tested in a completely randomised design with four replicates. Broccoli plants grown with the omission of N and Ca were the first of show deficiency symptoms and the greatest reduction in the net photosynthetic rate and stomatal conductance, with evidently impaired plant growth and biomass. Omissions of macronutrients affected carbohydrate partitioning, and the content of soluble sugars significantly decreased by more 60% in response to Mg omission. With K omission, the contents of soluble sugars and starch increased in broccoli leaves by 40% and 60%, respectively. K transport increased in plants grown without Ca. S translocation decreased with the absence of any macronutrient in the nutrient solution. Deficiencies in the nutrients N, K, and Ca cause the most critical early damage in the photosynthetic apparatus and in the nutritional balance of broccoli plants, so attention should be given to replenishing these nutrients in plantations. View Full-Text
Keywords: Brassica oleracea var. italica L.; macronutrient’s omission; nutrient uptake; translocation; nutritional stress; hydroponics Brassica oleracea var. italica L.; macronutrient’s omission; nutrient uptake; translocation; nutritional stress; hydroponics
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Almeida, H.J.d.; Carmona, V.M.V.; Cavalcante, V.S.; Filho, A.B.C.; Prado, R.d.M.; Flores, R.A.; Borges, B.M.M.N.; Mauad, M. Nutritional and Visual Diagnosis in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) Plants: Disorders in Physiological Activity, Nutritional Efficiency and Metabolism of Carbohydrates. Agronomy 2020, 10, 1572. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10101572

AMA Style

Almeida HJd, Carmona VMV, Cavalcante VS, Filho ABC, Prado RdM, Flores RA, Borges BMMN, Mauad M. Nutritional and Visual Diagnosis in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) Plants: Disorders in Physiological Activity, Nutritional Efficiency and Metabolism of Carbohydrates. Agronomy. 2020; 10(10):1572. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10101572

Chicago/Turabian Style

Almeida, Hilário J.d., Victor M.V. Carmona, Valéria S. Cavalcante, Arthur B.C. Filho, Renato d.M. Prado, Rilner A. Flores, Bernardo M.M.N. Borges, and Munir Mauad. 2020. "Nutritional and Visual Diagnosis in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) Plants: Disorders in Physiological Activity, Nutritional Efficiency and Metabolism of Carbohydrates" Agronomy 10, no. 10: 1572. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10101572

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop