Next Article in Journal
Effect of Contextualized Versus Non-Contextualized Interventions for Improving Hand Washing, Sanitation, and Health in Rural Tanzania: Study Design of a Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial
Next Article in Special Issue
Maternal and Child Nutrition and Oral Health in Urban Vietnam
Previous Article in Journal
Exercise-Based Interventions to Enhance Long-Term Sustainability of Physical Activity in Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials
Previous Article in Special Issue
A Qualitative Study of Child Nutrition and Oral Health in El Salvador
Open AccessArticle

The Analysis of Dental Treatment under General Anaesthesia in Medically Compromised and Healthy Children

1
Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine Charles University and University Hospital, 500 03 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
2
Department of Medical Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine Charles University, 500 03 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
3
Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine Charles University and University Hospital, 323 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16(14), 2528; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16142528
Received: 23 May 2019 / Revised: 30 June 2019 / Accepted: 6 July 2019 / Published: 15 July 2019
Dental care under general anaesthesia (GA) is an option when normal treatment cannot be accomplished due to un-cooperation and systemic or cognitive/intellectual disabilities. The purpose of this retrospective cohort study was to analyse the dental treatment under GA in medically compromised and healthy children. The data were collected from the medical records of children who received their dental treatment under GA. The data regarding patient age, sex, general health, and type of treatment were analysed. This clinical trial included 229 study subjects (138 males, 91 females) with an average age of 8.34 (SD 3.78). Counts and relative counts were used for description of qualitative data. The association between the variables was analysed using contingency tables. The significance of the findings was tested by the chi-square test. Most of the children were older pre-school 63 (27.51%) and young school children 102 (44.54%). Medical disability (systemic or intellectual) was diagnosed in 142 children (62.01%); the remaining 87 (37.99%) were healthy children. Dental treatment of primary teeth was more commonly performed in healthy children (65.52%) compared to medically compromised children (58.45%) (p = 0.287). The total number of medically compromised children and the total number of healthy children were both considered to be 100% for the purpose of the following calculations. In terms of permanent dentition, medically compromised children required more extractions and fillings (38.03%, 57.04%) compared to healthy children (14.94%, 17.24%, respectively). The results of this study revealed that dental treatment under GA was more commonly performed in medically compromised children in permanent teeth only in comparison to healthy children. Based on these findings, both health professionals and state authorities should focus more on preventive care in medically compromised children in order to improve their oral health. View Full-Text
Keywords: dental treatment; general anaesthesia; children; medically compromised dental treatment; general anaesthesia; children; medically compromised
MDPI and ACS Style

Koberova Ivancakova, R.; Suchanek, J.; Kovacsova, F.; Cermakova, E.; Merglova, V. The Analysis of Dental Treatment under General Anaesthesia in Medically Compromised and Healthy Children. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 2528.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop