Special Issue "Smart Devices Interaction"
A special issue of Multimodal Technologies and Interaction (ISSN 2414-4088).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2018)
In about one decade, mobile phones have emerged to become smart everyday companions equipped with high-resolution cameras and displays, wireless high-speed connections and a variety of built-in sensors. Since then, our way to interact with such devices has been changing tremendously: Instead of pressing hardware keys, we unlock our devices by looking at them, we interact with digital content through gestures and we ask virtual mobile assistants for help.
At the same time, we increasingly employ portable and wearable smart devices to interact with real-world environments. We explore our immediate surroundings by gazing through smartphones and dataglasses, we pay with smartphones by touching payment terminals, and use them to remotely control home appliances, toys and even drones.
This Special Issue is focused on the next generation of interactions with smart devices. Its goal is to explore and evaluate novel interaction techniques and interactive services for modern mobile and wearable devices. We encourage authors to submit original research articles, as well as surveys. We are interested in experiences gained during designing, prototyping and evaluating such novel interactions in lab and field studies. Topics of interest for this Special Issue include, but are not limited to:
- Novel interaction techniques for mobile and wearable devices
- Advanced interactive context-aware mobile services
- Unobtrusive, implicit, and natural interactions styles for smart devices
- Multi-modal interactions and interactive services for smart devices
- Collocated multi- and massive user interactions with smart devices
- Multi- and cross-device scenarios and services
- Artificial Intelligence for smart device interactions
- User studies and case studies on the usage of smart devices and services
- Technical frameworks for realizing novel mobile interactions and experiences
Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt
Prof. Dr. Christian Kray
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) is waived for well-prepared manuscripts submitted to this issue. Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Mobile interaction techniques
- Mobile User Experience (UX)
- Mobile Interaction Design
- Multi-modal mobile interaction
- Wearable devices
- Location-based services
- Context-aware mobile services
- Computational mobile interaction
- Gesture, speech and gaze-based interaction
- Multi- and cross-device interaction