Special Issue "Optical Technologies for IoT, Smart Industry, and Smart Infrastructures"
A special issue of Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks (ISSN 2224-2708).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 November 2018).
Interests: telecommunications; optical networks; networking; smart infrastructures; energy efficiency
The concept of a smart city is currently receiving significant attention, not only from research and development, but also from public authorities and private companies. The main prerequisite for implementing smart city applications and systems is an efficient and reliable smart infrastructure, which is based on an integration of basic infrastructure like roads, railways, metro, trams, electricity grids, water distribution systems, and other constructed facilities, with distributed smart sensing systems, information technology, and communication networks. Similarly, the fourth industrial revolution is driven by recent developments in information and communication technology (ICT) and promises to radically alter the face of industry in the coming decades. With a widespread implementation of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communication and the Internet of Things (IoT) the traditional boundaries will disappear. An effective IoT-network is a key factor in delivering an integrated and intelligent smart infrastructures and systems.
Optical technology will play a significant role in developing and implementing reliable, high-performance, and efficient smart infrastructures and systems. On the one hand, there are many ways to utilize optical effects and materials to build reliable, efficient, and precise sensors, and on the other, advanced short- and long-distance optical communication systems are able to provide future-proof links and networks to optimally support future IoT and other applications and services.
This Special Issue aims to publish original, significant, and visionary papers describing novel research on optical technologies, systems, and networks for application in distributed and smart sensing systems, M2M, IoT, smart industries, smart infrastructures, and smart cities. Submissions of current and original research results from experts in academia and industry worldwide are strongly encouraged.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
Sensors based on optical materials and technologies
- Novel methods and structures for building optical sensors
- Applications of optical sensors
- Optical sensor networks
- Optical sensors for measuring strain, temperature, tilt, force, acceleration, rotation, humidity, vibration, velocity, humidity, electric, magnetic and acoustic fields, etc.
- Characterization of optical sensors
Optical communication systems and networks for IoT, smart industry, and smart infrastructures
- Optical transmission technologies for smart systems and infrastructures
- Optical networks for industry applications
- Optical wireless communications with application in smart industry and infrastructures
- Advanced concepts for optical networks providing high flexibility, adaptability, reliability, dynamics, and energy efficiency
- Availability and reliability of optical systems and networks
- Methods for optical network slicing, software defined networking (SDN), and network function virtualization (NFV)
- Optical cloud networks
- Optical private networks for vertical markets
- Optical network concepts and technologies for critical infrastructures
- Optical wireless backhaul/fronthaul
- Short-range optical communication systems and networks
Prof. Slavisa Aleksic
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- optical sensors
- sensor networks
- optical communications
- optical networks
- optical wireless communications
- smart industry
- smart infrastructure
- Internet of Things
- critical infrastructures
- advanced network concepts