Special Issue "Machine-Environment Interaction"
A special issue of Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks (ISSN 2224-2708).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 September 2021.
Interests: software architecture; dynamic architecture; knowledge representation and reasoning; interaction machine-environment; ambient intelligence; robotic interaction; data fusion and fission; embedded system
Interests: knowledge representation; machine learning; computational intelligence; artificial intelligence; formal methods; multimodal computing
The machine-environment interaction is vast and is itself a complex domain. It is located at the crossroads of several artificial intelligence disciplines, the representation of knowledge and reasoning, ambient intelligence, networks of sensors, etc.
An intelligent machine (robot, vehicle, drone, etc.) can evolve in a so-called “smart” environment (e.g. smart home, smart city, etc.). Such connected environment has a network of sensors that an intelligent machine can use in addition to its own sensors to better understand the environment and interact with the objects that are present in such environment. Man is part of this environment; hence human-machine integration is a special case of machine-environment interaction.
The interaction loop between the machine and environment is made up of the following processes: perception, comprehension, decision and action. Thus, an intelligent machine has the capacity to perceive the environment, understand the current state of such environment, reason to make decisions, and act on the environment to execute decisions.
Research and development in interactive systems entails many challenges and opportunities, not only in hardware and software but also on various sensors, which constitute important tools of these systems to perceive the environment.
JSAN is delighted to launch this call for papers for this Special Issue. We invite researchers to submit papers on a topic within the field of machine-environment interaction including related fields, which may include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Representation of the environment of an interactive system: models, formalisms
- The perception of the environment of interactive systems
- Data fusion and fission in interactive systems
- Techniques and methods for optimization and learning to facilitate interaction
- Reasoning in decision-making components of interactive systems
- System for evaluation and analysis of interactive systems
- Networks of sensors for interactive systems
Prof. Dr. Amar Ramdane-Cherif
Dr. Manolo Dulva Hina
- Submissions of “extended versions” of already published works (e.g., conference/workshop papers) should be significantly extended with a relevant part of novel contribution (at least 50% new work). A “Summary of Differences” between the submitted paper to this special issue and the former one must be included.
- This Special Issue includes selected papers from the Second EAI International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communications (https://cicom-conference.eai-conferences.org/2021/). Authors of these papers are invited to submit an extended version of their paper for consideration.
- New submissions from other community are also welcome.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- knowledge representation
- reasoning systems
- sensor networks
- decision systems
- sensors and actuators