Special Issue "Highly Stretchable Electrode Arrays: Development and Applications"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 June 2021.
Interests: polymeric biomaterials; flexible bioelectronics; neural interfaces; shape memory polymers
Flexible bioelectronics is an emerging and exciting research field with increasing demand for wearable and implantable electrodes that are reliable and compliant to tissue. Enormous effort is being expended on soft and stretchable electrode arrays. In order to successfully translate bioelectronic devices to the clinic, they need to maintain stable performances under various mechanical deformations, ideally over long periods of time. Of the different deformation modes, stretchability is the most demanding and challenging. In order to see how the interdisciplinary community is addressing this challenge, this Special Issue will focus on the recent advances in the field of highly stretchable electrode arrays, including their development and applications.
Topics for this Special Issue may include but are not restricted to:
- Key design considerations in terms of geometries, substrates, and adhesion;
- Development of stretchable materials, including substrate and conductive electrode materials;
- Optimization of fabrication methods and strategies;
- Improved characterization methods and theoretical modeling;
- Applications for highly stretchable electrode arrays, including wearables and implantable devices;
- Reliability of devices, including durability, fatigue, long-term performance, and biocompatibility;
- Future directions and novel approaches.
Dr. Melanie Ecker
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Stretchable electrode arrays
- compliant neural devices
- stretchable bioelectronics
- deformable conducting materials
- biointegrated microelectrodes
- electrode–substrate adhesion
- wearable electronic devices