Next Article in Journal
The Effect of Environment and Nutrients on Hydroponic Lettuce Yield, Quality, and Phytonutrients
Next Article in Special Issue
Irrigation of Greenhouse Crops
Previous Article in Journal
Postharvest Treatments with GRAS Salts to Control Fresh Fruit Decay
Previous Article in Special Issue
Yield, Quality, Antioxidants and Elemental Composition of New Leek Cultivars under Organic or Conventional Systems in a Greenhouse
Open AccessFeature PaperArticle

Automation for Water and Nitrogen Deficit Stress Detection in Soilless Tomato Crops Based on Spectral Indices

Department of Agriculture Crop Production and Rural Environment, University of Thessaly, Fytokou Str., 38446 Volos, Greece
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Horticulturae 2018, 4(4), 47; https://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae4040047
Received: 8 October 2018 / Revised: 9 November 2018 / Accepted: 16 November 2018 / Published: 23 November 2018
Water and nitrogen deficit stress are some of the most important growth limiting factors in crop production. Several methods have been used to quantify the impact of water and nitrogen deficit stress on plant physiology. However, by performing machine learning with hyperspectral sensor data, crop physiology management systems are integrated into real artificial intelligence systems, providing richer recommendations and insights into implementing appropriate irrigation and environment control management strategies. In this study, the Classification Tree model was used to group complex hyperspectral datasets in order to provide remote visual results about plant water and nitrogen deficit stress. Soilless tomato crops are grown under varying water and nitrogen regimes. The model that we developed was trained using 75% of the total sample dataset, while the rest (25%) of the data were used to validate the model. The results showed that the combination of MSAVI, mrNDVI, and PRI had the potential to determine water and nitrogen deficit stress with 89.6% and 91.4% classification accuracy values for the training and testing samples, respectively. The results of the current study are promising for developing control strategies for sustainable greenhouse production. View Full-Text
Keywords: remote sensing; hyperspectral; reflectance index; classification tree; machine vision remote sensing; hyperspectral; reflectance index; classification tree; machine vision
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Elvanidi, A.; Katsoulas, N.; Kittas, C. Automation for Water and Nitrogen Deficit Stress Detection in Soilless Tomato Crops Based on Spectral Indices. Horticulturae 2018, 4, 47.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Search more from Scilit
 
Search
Back to TopTop