Next Article in Journal
Avian Pattern Recognition Receptor Sensing and Signaling
Next Article in Special Issue
The African Swine Fever Epidemic in Wild Boar (Sus scrofa) in Lithuania (2014–2018)
Previous Article in Journal
In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Biological-Derived Silver Nanoparticles: Preliminary Data
Previous Article in Special Issue
Estimating the Postmortem Interval of Wild Boar Carcasses
Open AccessArticle

Diversity of Diptera Species in Estonian Pig Farms

1
Estonian University of Life Sciences, Institute of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Sciences, Kreutzwaldi 62, 51006 Tartu, Estonia
2
Estonian University of Life Sciences, Institute of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences, Kreutzwaldi 5D, EE-51006 Tartu, Estonia
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Vet. Sci. 2020, 7(1), 13; https://doi.org/10.3390/vetsci7010013
Received: 29 November 2019 / Revised: 20 January 2020 / Accepted: 21 January 2020 / Published: 23 January 2020
(This article belongs to the Special Issue African Swine Fever (ASF))
In light of the African swine fever outbreaks in Estonian pig farms during the past few years, the question of the vector potential of Diptera in the pig farm environment has risen. However, the arthropod fauna of the pig farm environment is currently not well established. Hence, the aim of this study was to clarify the species diversity in pig farms. In total, 22 Diptera species or species groups were found in Estonian pig farms. There were altogether 186,701 individual arthropods collected, from which 96.6% (180,444) belonged to the order of true flies (Insecta: Diptera). The remaining 3.4% were from other insect orders, arachnids, or just damaged and unidentifiable specimens. The activity density and diversity of dipterans differed significantly between 12 sampled farms but not throughout the sampling period. The present study is amongst the few to provide a large-scale overview of pig-farm-associated Diptera in the temperate climate zone.
Keywords: Diptera; arthropod vectors; African swine fever virus; pig farms Diptera; arthropod vectors; African swine fever virus; pig farms
MDPI and ACS Style

Tummeleht, L.; Jürison, M.; Kurina, O.; Kirik, H.; Jeremejeva, J.; Viltrop, A. Diversity of Diptera Species in Estonian Pig Farms. Vet. Sci. 2020, 7, 13.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop