Next Article in Journal
A Preliminary Study on the Mechanical Reliability and Regeneration Capability of Artificial Bone Grafts in Oncologic Cases, With and Without Osteosynthesis
Previous Article in Journal
Effects of a Multicomponent Exercise Program in Physical Function and Muscle Mass in Sarcopenic/Pre-Sarcopenic Adults
 
 
Article

High Frequency of Undiagnosed Psychiatric Disorders in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases

1
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Systems Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, 00133 Rome, Italy
2
Psychiatriy Unit, Department of Systems Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, 00133 Rome, Italy
3
IRCCS Santa Lucia Foundation, 00133 Rome, Italy
*
Authors to whom correspondence should be addressed.
J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9(5), 1387; https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051387
Received: 6 April 2020 / Revised: 7 May 2020 / Accepted: 7 May 2020 / Published: 8 May 2020
(This article belongs to the Section Mental Health)
Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are associated with comorbid depressive and anxiety disorders, but a significant proportion of IBD patients with psychiatric disorders (PsychD) remain undiagnosed and untreated. The aim of this study was to assess the frequency and type of undiagnosed PsychD in IBD patients. Two hundred and thirty-seven adult IBD (136 Crohn’s disease (CD) and 101 ulcerative colitis (UC)) outpatients were consecutively recruited at a single university hospital centre between January 2018 and June 2019. After a scheduled follow-up visit for IBD clinical evaluation, participants underwent a semi-structured interview with a trained psychiatrist. One hundred and fourteen (48%) IBD patients had at least one PsychD, and in 67 (59%) of them, a diagnosis was made for the first time during the study. The remaining 47 (41%) patients had received a previous psychiatric diagnosis, but in only six cases was it consistent with the diagnosis made during the study. PsychD were equally distributed in CD (72/136, 53%) and UC (42/101, 42%), and mostly represented by mood disorders (54/114, 47%) and anxiety (27/114, 24%) disorders. PsychD were not related to the disease severity, phenotype or localisation of IBD, even though having three or more concomitant PsychD was associated with more severe disease in CD. Our data indicate that undiagnosed PsychD are common in IBD and highlight the importance of considering psychiatric evaluation in the management of IBD patients. View Full-Text
Keywords: Crohn’s disease; ulcerative colitis; mood disorders; PTSD Crohn’s disease; ulcerative colitis; mood disorders; PTSD
MDPI and ACS Style

Marafini, I.; Longo, L.; Miri Lavasani, D.; Rossi, R.; Salvatori, S.; Pianigiani, F.; Calabrese, E.; Siracusano, A.; Di Lorenzo, G.; Monteleone, G. High Frequency of Undiagnosed Psychiatric Disorders in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9, 1387. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051387

AMA Style

Marafini I, Longo L, Miri Lavasani D, Rossi R, Salvatori S, Pianigiani F, Calabrese E, Siracusano A, Di Lorenzo G, Monteleone G. High Frequency of Undiagnosed Psychiatric Disorders in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020; 9(5):1387. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051387

Chicago/Turabian Style

Marafini, Irene, Lucia Longo, Damun Miri Lavasani, Rodolfo Rossi, Silvia Salvatori, Federica Pianigiani, Emma Calabrese, Alberto Siracusano, Giorgio Di Lorenzo, and Giovanni Monteleone. 2020. "High Frequency of Undiagnosed Psychiatric Disorders in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases" Journal of Clinical Medicine 9, no. 5: 1387. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051387

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop