Open Access This article is
- freely available
Micromachines 2019, 10(4), 269; https://doi.org/10.3390/mi10040269
Editorial for the Special Issue on Small-Scale Deformation using Advanced Nanoindentation Techniques
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Florida, 4202 E Fowler Ave. ENB 118 Tampa, FL 33620, USA
Authors to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 14 April 2019 / Accepted: 16 April 2019 / Published: 22 April 2019
Nanoindentation techniques have been used to reliably characterize mechanical properties at small scales for the past 30 years. Recent developments of these depth-sensing instruments have led to breakthroughs in fracture mechanics, time-dependent deformations, size-dependent plasticity, and viscoelastic behavior of biological materials. This special issue contains 11 papers covering a diverse field of materials deformation behavior. Müller et al.  developed a new nanoindentation method to evaluate the influence of hydrogen on the plastic deformation of nickel. Effects of radiation on ferritic-martensitic steels were studied by Roldán et al. . The applications of the depth-sensing indentation method in the mechanical reliability of microelectronic packaging products, such as through-silicon via (TSV) structures and lead-free solder, were performed by Wu et al.  and Long et al. , respectively. Gan et al.  and Chiu et al.  investigated the fracture behavior of cementitious cantilever beam and InP single crystals. Studies of nanometer scale deformation of metallic glass materials (Zr-Cu-Ni-Al and La-Co-Al alloys)  and Bi2Se3 thin films  were also part of the collected manuscripts. The mechanical deformation of mammalian cells and other biological materials [9,10] were also discussed in this focus issue. Influence of surface pit on the nanoindentation was studied by Zhang et al. . The editors would like to thank these authors for their contributions to this focus issue.
- Müller, C.; Zamanzade, M. The Impact of Hydrogen on Mechanical Properties; A New In Situ Nanoindentation Testing Method. Micromachines 2019, 10, 114. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Roldán, M.; Fernández, P.; Rams, J.; Sánchez, F.J.; Adrián, G.-H. Nanoindentation and TEM to Study the Cavity Fate after Post-Irradiation Annealing of He Implanted. Micromachines 2018, 9, 633. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Wu, C.; Wei, C.; Li, Y. In Situ Mechanical Characterization of the Mixed-Mode Fracture Strength of the Cu/Si Interface for TSV Structures. Micromachines 2019, 10, 86. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Long, X.; Zhang, X.; Tang, W.; Wang, S.; Feng, Y.; Chang, C. Calibration of a Constitutive Model from Tension and Nanoindentation for Lead-Free Solder. Micromachines 2018, 9, 608. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Gan, Y.; Zhang, H.; Šavija, B.; Schlangen, E. Static and Fatigue Tests on Cementitious Cantilever Beams Using Nanoindenter. Micromachines 2018, 9, 630. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Chiu, Y.; Jian, S.; Liu, T.; Le, P.H.; Juang, J. Localized Deformation and Fracture Behaviors in InP Single Crystals by Indentation. Micromachines 2018, 9, 611. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Ma, Y.; Song, Y.; Huang, X.; Chen, Z.; Zhang, T. Testing Effects on Shear Transformation Zone Size of Metallic Glassy Films Under Nanoindentation. Micromachines 2018, 9, 636. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Lai, H.; Jian, S.; Thi, L.; Tuyen, C.; Le, P.H.; Luo, C. Nanoindentation of Bi2Se3 Thin Films. Micromachines 2018, 9, 518. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Qian, L.; Zhao, H. Nanoindentation of Soft Biological Materials. Micromachines 2018, 9, 654. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Moussa, H.; Logan, M.; Wong, K.; Rao, Z.; Aucoin, M.; Tsui, T. Nanoscale-Textured Tantalum Surfaces for Mammalian Cell Alignment. Micromachines 2018, 9, 464. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Zhang, Z.; Ni, Y.; Zhang, J.; Wang, C.; Ren, X. Multiscale analysis of size effect of surface pit defect in nanoindentation. Micromachines 2018, 9, 298. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
© 2019 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).