Nutritional Profiles of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Cheese Alternatives
2. Materials and Methods
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Fortune Business Inside. Plant-Based Meal Market Size, Share, and Industry Analysis, by Product Type (Plant-Based Dairy, Plant-Based Meat, Plant-Based Milk, Others), by Distribution Channel (Offline, Online), and Regional Forecast, 2022–2029. Available online: https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/plant-based-meal-market-102251 (accessed on 1 February 2022).
- Fu, W.; Yano, H. Development of “new” bread and cheese. Processes 2020, 8, 1541–1564. [Google Scholar]
- Boukid, F.; Lamri, M.; Dar, B.N.; Garron, M.; Castellari, M. Vegan alternatives to processed cheese and yogurt launched in the European Market during 2020: A nutritional challenge? Foods 2021, 10, 2782. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hopwood, C.J.; Bleidorn, W.; Schwaba, T.; Chen, S. Health, environmental, and animal rights motives for vegetarian eating. PLoS ONE 2020, 15, e0230609. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Stahler, C. How Many Adults in the U.S. Are Vegan? How Many Adults Eat Vegetarian When Eating Out? Available online: https://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2020issue4/2020_issue4_poll_results.php (accessed on 26 January 2022).
- Plant-based Foods Association. Retail Sales Data. 2021. Available online: https://www.plantbasedfoods.org/retail-sales-data/ (accessed on 20 January 2022).
- Grand View Research Service. Vegan Cheese Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Product (Mozzarella, Ricotta), By Source (Soy Milk, Cashew Milk), By End Use (Household, Foodservice), By Region, and Segment Forecasts, 2021–2028. Available online: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/vegan-cheese-market (accessed on 20 January 2022).
- Craig, W.J.; Fresán, U. International Analysis of the Nutritional Content and a Review of Health Benefits of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Beverages. Nutrients 2021, 13, 842. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Craig, W.J.; Brothers, C.J. Nutritional Content and Health Profile of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Yogurt Alternatives. Nutrients 2021, 13, 4069. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Craig, W.J.; Brothers, C.J.; Mangels, R. Nutritional Content and Health Profile of Single-Serve Non-Dairy Plant-Based Beverages. Nutrients 2021, 14, 162. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Zhang, Y.Y.; Hughes, J.; Grafenauer, S. Got Mylk? The Emerging Role of Australian Plant-Based Milk Alternatives as A Cow’s Milk Substitute. Nutrients 2020, 12, 1254. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Singhal, S.; Baker, R.D.; Baker, S.S. A comparison of the nutritional value of cow’s milk and non-dairy beverages. J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017, 64, 799–805. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Angelino, D.; Rosi, A.; Vici, G.; Russo, M.D.; Pellegrini, N.; Martini, D.; On Behalf of the SINU Young Working Group. Nutritional Quality of Plant-Based Drinks Sold in Italy: The Food Labeling of Italian Products (FLIP) Study. Foods 2020, 9, 682. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Clegg, M.E.; Tarrado Ribes, A.; Reynolds, R.; Kliem, K.; Stergiadis, S. A comparative assessment of the nutritional composition of dairy and plant-based dairy alternatives available for sale in the UK and the implications for consumers’ dietary intakes. Food Res. Int. 2021, 148, 110586. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Fresán, U.; Rippin, H. Nutritional Quality of Plant-Based Cheese Available in Spanish Supermarkets: How Do They Compare to Dairy Cheese? Nutrients 2021, 13, 3291. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Giha, V.; Ordoñez, M.J.; Villamil, R.A. How does milk fat replacement influence cheese analogue microstructure, rheology, and texture profile? J. Food Sci. 2021, 86, 2802–2815. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- New Nutrition Facts Label. Available online: https://www.fda.gov/food/new-nutrition-facts-label/lows-and-highs-percentdaily-value-new-nutrition-facts-label (accessed on 23 July 2021).
- Daily Value and Percent Daily Value: Changes on the New Nutrition and Supplements Facts Labels. Available online: https://www.fda.gov/media/135301/download (accessed on 23 July 2021).
- R Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing; R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna, Austria, 2019; Available online: https://www.R-project.org (accessed on 10 November 2021).
- Poinski, M. Plant-Based Cheese Is Full of Start-Ups. Published 16 March 2021. Available online: https://www.fooddive.com/news/plant-based-cheese-is-full-of-startups-will-dairy-providers-get-into-the-s/596145/ (accessed on 20 January 2022).
- Moyer, L.; Mitchell, K. Say cheese. The top dairy and plant-based picks. Nutr. Action Health 2021, 48, 12–15. [Google Scholar]
- Vitamin, D. NIH, Office of Dietary Supplements. Available online: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/ (accessed on 13 February 2022).
- Jayawardena, R.; Swarnamali, H.; Ranasinghe, P.; Misra, A. Health effects of coconut oil: Summary of evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analysis of interventional studies. Diabetes Metab. Syndr. 2021, 15, 549–555. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Neelakantan, N.; Seah, J.Y.H.; van Dam, R.M. The Effect of Coconut Oil Consumption on Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical Trials. Circulation 2020, 141, 803–814. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Mefleh, M.; Pasqualone, A.; Caponio, F.; Faccia, M. Legumes as Basic Ingredients in the Production of Dairy-Free Cheese Alternatives: A Review. J. Sci. Food Agric. 2022, 102, 8–18. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Jeewanthi, R.K.C.; Paik, H.D. Modifications of Nutritional, Structural, and Sensory Characteristics of Non-Dairy Soy Cheese Analogs To Improve Their Quality Attributes. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2018, 55, 4384–4394. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mangels, R.; Messina, V.; Messina, M. The Dietitian’s Guide to Vegetarian Diets, 4th ed.; Jones & Bartlett: Sudbury, MA, USA, 2021. [Google Scholar]
- Li, Q.; Xia, Y.; Zhou, L.; Xie, J. Evaluation of the Rheological, Textural, Microstructural and Sensory Properties of Soy Cheese Spreads. Food Bioprod. Process. 2013, 91, 429–439. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Short, E.C.; Kinchla, A.J.; Nolden, A.A. Plant-Based Cheeses: A Systematic Review of Sensory Evaluation Studies and Strategies to Increase Consumer Acceptance. Foods 2021, 10, 725. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Martensson, O.; Oste, R.; Holst, O. Lactic Acid Bacteria in an Oat-based Non-dairy Milk Substitute: Fermentation Characteristics and Exopolysaccharide Formation. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 2000, 33, 525–530. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Melina, V.; Craig, W.; Levin, S. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian diets. J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2016, 116, 1970–1980. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Craig, W.J.; Mangels, A.R.; Fresán, U.; Marsh, K.; Miles, F.L.; Saunders, A.; Haddad, E.; Heskey, C.; Johnston, P.; Larson-Meyer, E.; et al. The Safe and Effective Use of Plant-Based Diets with Guidelines for Health Professionals. Nutrients 2021, 13, 4144. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Craig, W.J. Vegetarian Diets. Benefits and Concerns. Nutr. Clin. Pract. 2010, 25, 613–620. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
|Nutrient||All||Almond||Cashew||Cashew and Coconut||Coconut||Oat||Soy and Coconut||Others 1||p-Value|
|Calories||80 (60–100)||70 (60–70) abc||90 (65–120) ab||100 (80–120) a||70 (60–80) c||70 (70–83) bc||110 (110–110) abc||80 (80–90) abc||p < 0.001|
|Fat||7 (5–8)||6 (6–6) abc||7 (5–10) abc||8 (7–11) a||6 (5–7) bc||5 (5–6) b||10 (10–10) ac||6 (6–7) abc||p < 0.001|
|Saturated Fat||4 (2–5)||0 (0–0) ab||1 (1–2) a||4 (3–5) cd||5 (4–6) c||4 (1–5) bcd||8 (8–8) c||3 (2–4) abd||p < 0.001|
|Sodium||190 (150–240)||180 (125–190) ab||130 (98–190) a||150 (110–200) a||215 (180–258) b||200 (200–270) b||205 (190–220) ab||270 (193–298) b||p < 0.001|
|Carbohydrates||5 (4–6)||3 (3–4) a||5 (3–7) ab||5 (4–6) ab||5 (4–6) b||5 (4–5) ab||3 (3–3) a||7 (5–7) b||p < 0.001|
|Fiber||0 (0–1)||1 (1–1) a||1 (0–1) ab||0 (0–1) abc||0 (0–0)d||0 (0–0) cd||0 (0–0) cd||0 (0–1) bcd||p < 0.001|
|Sugars||0 (0–0)||1 (1–1) a||0 (0–1) b||0 (0–0) b||0 (0–0) c||0 (0–0) bc||0 (0–0) bc||0 (0–0) bc||p < 0.001|
|Protein||0 (0–3)||2 (2–2) abc||3 (2–4) a||3 (1–3) ab||0 (0–0) d||0.4 (0–3) bc||1 (1–2) abcd||0 (0–1) cd||p < 0.001|
|Calcium||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0) abc||0 (0–0) a||0 (0–0) ab||0 (0–5) ab||0 (0–10) abc||0 (0–0) bc||20 (0–20) c||p < 0.001|
|Vit. D||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0)||0.681|
|Vit. B12||0 (0–0)||0 (0–0) ab||0 (0–0) a||0 (0–0) a||0 (0–19) b||0 (0–0) ab||0 (0–0) ab||0 (0–0) ab||p < 0.001|
|Total||Almond||Cashew||Cashew and Coconut||Coconut||Oat||Soy and Coconut||Others 1|
|At least 5 g protein (10% DV)||3||0||23||0||0||0||0||0|
|Vitamin D fortification||1||0||0||0||3||0||0||0|
|Vitamin B12 fortification||14||0||0||5||28||0||0||0|
|No more than|
|115 mg sodium (5% DV)||15||29||34||31||2||0||0||7|
|1 g saturated fat (5% DV)||14||100||54||0||0||38||0||21|
|4 g of fat (5% DV)||4.5||0||6||0||7||6||0||7|
|100 calories (5% DV)||81||86||66||67||93||100||17||7|
|4 g or more saturated fat (20% DV)||57||0||0||59||87||44||83||7|
|More than 15.5 g fat (20% DV)||2||0||0||10||0||0||0||0|
|230 mg sodium or more (10% DV)||32||0||9||13||46||44||17||71|
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Craig, W.J.; Mangels, A.R.; Brothers, C.J. Nutritional Profiles of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Cheese Alternatives. Nutrients 2022, 14, 1247. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14061247
Craig WJ, Mangels AR, Brothers CJ. Nutritional Profiles of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Cheese Alternatives. Nutrients. 2022; 14(6):1247. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14061247Chicago/Turabian Style
Craig, Winston J., A. Reed Mangels, and Cecilia J. Brothers. 2022. "Nutritional Profiles of Non-Dairy Plant-Based Cheese Alternatives" Nutrients 14, no. 6: 1247. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14061247