Next Article in Journal
Potential of Multiway PLS (N-PLS) Regression Method to Analyse Time-Series of Multispectral Images: A Case Study in Agriculture
Next Article in Special Issue
Classification of Land-Water Continuum Habitats Using Exclusively Airborne Topobathymetric Lidar Green Waveforms and Infrared Intensity Point Clouds
Previous Article in Journal
A Bidirectional Deep-Learning-Based Spectral Attention Mechanism for Hyperspectral Data Classification
Previous Article in Special Issue
Very High-Resolution Satellite-Derived Bathymetry and Habitat Mapping Using Pleiades-1 and ICESat-2
Article

Satellite–Derived Topography and Morphometry for VHR Coastal Habitat Mapping: The Pleiades–1 Tri–Stereo Enhancement

1
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Université PSL, CNRS UMR 6554 LETG, 35800 Dinard, France
2
LabEx CORAIL, 66860 Perpignan, France
3
Geospatial Data Analytics Lab, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
4
Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
5
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
6
Translational Data Analytics Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editors: Dar Roberts, Junshi Xia and Simona Niculescu
Remote Sens. 2022, 14(1), 219; https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14010219
Received: 31 October 2021 / Revised: 22 December 2021 / Accepted: 23 December 2021 / Published: 4 January 2022
The evolution of the coastal fringe is closely linked to the impact of climate change, specifically increases in sea level and storm intensity. The anthropic pressure that is inflicted on these fragile environments strengthens the risk. Therefore, numerous research projects look into the possibility of monitoring and understanding the coastal environment in order to better identify its dynamics and adaptation to the major changes that are currently taking place in the landscape. This new study aims to improve the habitat mapping/classification at Very High Resolution (VHR) using Pleiades–1–derived topography, its morphometric by–products, and Pleiades–1–derived imageries. A tri–stereo dataset was acquired and processed by image pairing to obtain nine digital surface models (DSM) that were 0.50 m pixel size using the free software RSP (RPC Stereo Processor) and that were calibrated and validated with the 2018–LiDAR dataset that was available for the study area: the Emerald Coast in Brittany (France). Four morphometric predictors that were derived from the best of the nine generated DSMs were calculated via a freely available software (SAGA GIS): slope, aspect, topographic position index (TPI), and TPI–based landform classification (TPILC). A maximum likelihood classification of the area was calculated using nine classes: the salt marsh, dune, rock, urban, field, forest, beach, road, and seawater classes. With an RMSE of 4 m, the DSM#2–3_1 (from images #2 and #3 with one ground control point) outperformed the other DSMs. The classification results that were computed from the DSM#2–3_1 demonstrate the importance of the contribution of the morphometric predictors that were added to the reference Red–Green–Blue (RGB, 76.37% in overall accuracy, OA). The best combination of TPILC that was added to the RGB + DSM provided a gain of 13% in the OA, reaching 89.37%. These findings will help scientists and managers who are tasked with coastal risks at VHR. View Full-Text
Keywords: Pleiades–1; photogrammetry; RSP; topography; classification; maximum likelihood; landscape Pleiades–1; photogrammetry; RSP; topography; classification; maximum likelihood; landscape
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

James, D.; Collin, A.; Mury, A.; Qin, R. Satellite–Derived Topography and Morphometry for VHR Coastal Habitat Mapping: The Pleiades–1 Tri–Stereo Enhancement. Remote Sens. 2022, 14, 219. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14010219

AMA Style

James D, Collin A, Mury A, Qin R. Satellite–Derived Topography and Morphometry for VHR Coastal Habitat Mapping: The Pleiades–1 Tri–Stereo Enhancement. Remote Sensing. 2022; 14(1):219. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14010219

Chicago/Turabian Style

James, Dorothée, Antoine Collin, Antoine Mury, and Rongjun Qin. 2022. "Satellite–Derived Topography and Morphometry for VHR Coastal Habitat Mapping: The Pleiades–1 Tri–Stereo Enhancement" Remote Sensing 14, no. 1: 219. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14010219

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop