2. Leadership in the Different Regions
3. Implementing a Leadership Development Framework Using a Leadership-Specific CPD Tool
4. Implementing an Online Leadership Development Program
5. Lessons Learned and Opportunities for Future Leadership Development
Conflicts of Interest
- Lemon, H. Leadership Skills Are Becoming Imperative as Pharmacy Profession Continues to Evolve. Available online: https://keypathedu.com/blog/2016/05/11/leadership-skills-are-becoming-imperative-pharmacy-profession-continues-evolve (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Leadership. Available online: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/leadership.html (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- General Pharmaceutical Council. Standards for Pharmacy Professionals. Available online: https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/sites/default/files/standards_for_pharmacy_professionals_may_2017_0.pdf (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia. Available online: https://www.psa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/National-Competency-Standards-Framework-for-Pharmacists-in-Australia-2016-PDF-2mb.pdf (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- White, S.J.; Enright, S.M. Is there still a pharmacy leadership crisis? A seven-year follow-up assessment. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 2013, 70, 443–447. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Academic Leadership Fellows Program. Available online: https://www.aacp.org/resource/academic-leadership-fellows-program (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society. Leadership Development Framework. Available online: https://www.rpharms.com/Portals/0/RPS document library/Open access/Development/rps---leadership-development-framework-january-2015.pdf (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Center for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education. Top Pharmacy Leaders Programme. Available online: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/skills/pharmacy-leaders (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmaceutical Society of Singapore. AYPG Leadership Summit. Available online: https://www.pss.org.sg/whats-happening/e-bulletin/issue-no-159-pss-e-bulletin-november-2019/aypg-leadership-summit -.Xl0RiC10dQI (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Services, S.I.A.P.S. Pharmaceutical Leadership Development Program Piloted in South African Provinces. Available online: http://siapsprogram.org/2012/06/11/pharmaceutical-leadership-development-program-piloted-in-south-african-provinces/ (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmacists Leadership Stimulant Program. Applications. Available online: https://www.theplsp.com/admissions/ (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmacy Leadership & Education Institute. Prescott Award. Available online: https://plei.org/ (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Leadership and Management Academy. Available online: https://www.accp.com/academy/leadershipAndManagement.aspx (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- ASHP Foundation. Pharmacy Leadership Academy. Available online: https://www.ashpfoundation.org/Leadership-Development/Pharmacy-Leadership-Academy (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Center for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education. SPPE Leading for Change. Available online: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/therapeutics/hospital-leadership (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The Royal Pharmaceutical Society. Developing Your Leadership Skills. Available online: https://www.rpharms.com/professional-development/developing-leadership (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The Pharmaceutical Journal. New Leadership Skills Training for Primary Care Pharmacists. Available online: https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/new-leadership-skills-training-for-primary-care-pharmacists/20203922.article (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- National Health Service. Are You a Pharmacist Working in a Community Pharmacy Setting? Available online: https://psnc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/PhIF-training-for-community-pharmacists.html (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Center for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education. Mary Seacole Leadership Programme for Community Pharmacy. Available online: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/services/leadership-community (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- National health Service Education for Scotland. Leadership Foundation Level Courses. Available online: https://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/education-and-training/by-discipline/pharmacy/pharmacists/leadership.aspx (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmacy Management. PM Leadership. Available online: https://www.pharman.co.uk/pm-leadership/clip-wales (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmacy Life. Pharmacy Clinical Leadership Programme is Open for Entry. Available online: http://pharmacy-life.co.uk/pharmacy-clinical-leadership-programme-open-entry/ (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The University of Sydney. New Program to Foster Next Generation of Pharmacy Leaders. Available online: https://sydney.edu.au/medicine-health/news-and-events/2019/01/30/new-program-to-foster-next-generation-of-pharmacy-leaders.html (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Ignite: Pharmacist Leadership Program. Available online: https://www.psnz.org.nz/Folder?Action=View%20File&Folder_id=174&File=PSA%205486%20Ignite%20information%20booklet%202019%20v2.pdf (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia. LEAP into a Brighter Pharmacy Future. Available online: https://www.shpa.org.au/news/leap-brighter-pharmacy-leadership-future (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia. Leaders Evolving and Developing (L.E.A.D) Program: Bootcamp 1.0. Available online: https://www.shpa.org.au/mm19-bootcamp (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation. Leaders in Training. Available online: https://www.ipsf.org/projects/lit (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- International Pharmaceutical Federation. Young Pharmacists Group Leadership Development Workshop. Available online: https://abudhabi2019.fip.org/programme-session/young-pharmacists-group-leadership-development-workshop-part-2-d7/ (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Rouse, M.J.; Trewet, C.B.; Janke, K.K. Advancing learning to advance pharmacy practice. J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 2018, 58, 151–155. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- GALLUP. Clifton Strengths. Available online: https://www.gallup.com/cliftonstrengths/en/253850/cliftonstrengths-for-individuals.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Strengths_ECommerce_Brand_Search_US_Free&utm_content=%2Bstrengthsfinder%20%2Bfree&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhHkHW5pBmTprH44GasiWIdFux_iSIQhb1YLyz86pALCnks51Rdfb14aAj2CEALw_wcB (accessed on 30 March 2020).
- Maxwell, J.C. Developing the Leader within You 2.0; HarperCollins Leadership: Nashville, TN, USA, 2018. [Google Scholar]
|Asia||The Asian Young Pharmacist Group (AYPG) Leadership Summit consists of a panel discussion of four leaders who displayed exemplary leadership in their roles. The aim of the summit is to enhance the information shared between young Asian pharmacists and to increase the cooperation between members of the society. Leaders in the pharmacy profession from Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines also share their leadership experiences at the summit. The participating countries consist of Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Philippines, Cambodia and Indonesia (Thailand and Hong Kong via Video Call) .|
|Africa||The Pharmaceutical Leadership Development Program (PLDP) launched in South Africa in 2011. The aim of the development program was to strengthen management, leadership and governance skills in pharmacists and pharmacy managers. The development program is broken down into five workshops, taking place on a monthly basis. Participants are encouraged to apply the skills, information and other supporting tools to overcome the challenges faced in their workplace environment .|
The Pharmacists Leadership Stimulant Program (PLSP) is a Nigerian program, aimed to develop and equip pharmacists with mentoring, coaching, employability and leadership training. The program consists of online courses, face-to-face meetings with mentors, peer-learning and additional tasks. The program is available for young pharmacists (below the age of 35) and final year pharmacy students .
|North America||The Pharmacy Leadership & Education Institute (PLEI) is an educational foundation program, in the USA, dedicated to developing leaders in the pharmacy profession. The programs range from 1-h sessions to five-day programs. The PLEI also offers an in-depth workbook titled ‘Lead Grow Shape: A prescription for life-long leader development’ which includes several modules focusing on leadership. This is thought to be a customized leadership training program for all types of pharmacists .|
The American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Leadership and Management Certificate is an educational program that is designed to develop leadership and management skills in pharmacists. It is for those who already occupy leadership positions or aspire to such in the future. The program curriculum includes 18 h of core modules and 8 h of elective programming, totaling 26 h to complete the program. The core modules touch on topics such as the attributes of a leader, interpersonal and personal leadership development. However, the elective modules provide the participants with the opportunity to address specific leadership positions (e.g., pharmacy manager) or to apply a new leadership approach in practice .
The Pharmacy Leadership Academy (PLA) is an online program which is made up of seven courses. The course topics are built upon a set of acknowledged skills that are thought to be required in an effective leader. Examples of courses include: Leadership Influence, Leading Effective Financial Management and Strategic Clinical Leadership. A different amount of time is needed to complete each individual course, but the majority of them can be accomplished in a month .
|Europe||The Top Pharmacy Leadership program by the Centre of Pharmacy Postgraduate Education (CPPE) was delivered alongside the NHS Leadership Academy (an academy providing leadership development opportunities for healthcare workers) to equip aspiring or new-in-role senior pharmacists with the appropriate skills needed for them to carry out their leadership position. However, due to the withdrawal of NHS funding, the program will not be available in 2020 .|
The CPPE Leading for Change program is a program for mid-to-senior pharmacy professionals who are working at, or towards, an advanced level of practice. The program takes place over six months and is a blend of face-to-face workshops, online modules, and work-place based learning experiences. The aim of the program is to develop leaders throughout the pharmacy profession, resulting in better patient outcomes .
Online self-assessment tools are also available. The NHS network has provided NHS workers with an online tool to identify their leadership strengths and weaknesses. This was designed to assist with their professional development .
The Clinical Leadership in Pharmacy program accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society is available for primary care pharmacists and hosted by the Primary Care Pharmacy Association (PCPA). The aim of the program is to “unlock the potential for future pharmacy leaders”. It had previously been run by pharmacists in Scotland and was introduced to England in 2018 .
Health Education England (HEE) offers a range of programs for community pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to build upon and enhance their leadership skills. Community pharmacists are encouraged to take advantage of the fully funded NHS training program. It is an online program with minimal face-to-face contact; therefore, pharmacists are able to engage in this program in their free time. Suitable for those who require flexibility, they are delivered through universities across the country .
Mary Seacole Leadership Programmes for Community Pharmacists – With investment from the Pharmacy Integration Fund (PhIF), this programme is delivered as a 6-month leadership programme in London, Leeds and Birmingham. There are eight units on leadership fundamentals, and this is also accompanied by management skill training. This programme is under the NHS Leadership Academy .
In Scotland, A Taste of Leadership (TOL) is a foundational one-day course open to all pharmacists in their early career. This day course takes place in February and September. It aims to teach pharmacy professionals about leadership fundamentals such as emotional intelligence, teamwork and personal awareness .
In Wales and Ireland, there is a Pharmacy Clinical Leadership Programme (CLIP) available for future pharmacy leaders. It is a comprehensive leadership series which includes a broad range of training events. The programme itself consists of 10 interactive learnings days spread over 12 months. The participants are also provided with written material to benefit the learners [21,22].
|Australia||The University of Sydney introduced a new program to the pharmacy course for the university students at Sydney University, giving students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills outside of a class setting. It aims to develop students to be influential global leaders. It will be separate from the pharmacy degree, with students engaging in online modules and seminars in a course to graduate from the leadership program .|
The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia has a 12-month leadership program which offers highly interactive workshops that focus on leadership, communication, networking and many more. The program aims to help pharmacists realize their leadership potential. It is for early-career pharmacists (less than 10 years post-graduation) .
The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA) introduced a seven-day intensive pharmacy leadership program to North America. This national society is focused on the continued development of their members, with a strong focus on the promotion of excellence in medicines management. In 2019, the program was one-week long. It is a 10-person program where nine spaces are available for hospital pharmacist leaders and one space allocated for an “emerging” pharmacist .
The Leaders Evolving and Developing (L.E.A.D) Program is a one-day bootcamp course to help pharmacists develop skills that staff in the pharmacy profession must possess to be effective leaders in the workplace . The program will include teachings on: the skills and strengths required to construct a team capable of meeting demands, pharmacy finance and accountability in leadership success and strategic planning.
|Global||The Leaders in Training (LIT) workshop is hosted by the International Pharmaceutical Students Federation and aims to equip the future pharmacy workforce with the necessary leadership and management skills. Select topics covered include time and project management, public speaking and communication, and networking with future pharmacy leaders .|
The Young Pharmacist Group Leadership Development Workshop is hosted by the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), a global body representing over four million pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists. The workshop is available annually for young pharmacists who are interested in growing in leadership. One of the aims is to develop soft and practical skills in leadership and management. International speakers focus on leadership styles, understanding personalities within the workplace, project management, communication, strategic planning and servant leadership .
|Attending meetings |
Leading a meeting
Solving problems instead of delegating up
Advising student organizations
Listening to and discussing with other leaders
Working on projects with a timeline
Establishing a research lab or clinical site
Managing startup funds, budgets and personnel
Implementing major change
Managing change initiatives
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).