Underutilised Resources in Urban Environments
2. Towards More Sustainable Urban Resource Management: Insights from the Publications Included in the Special Issue
3. Concluding Remarks
Conflicts of Interest
- UN DESA. World Population Prospects 2019: Highlights; United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division: New York, NY, USA, 2019; Available online: https://population.un.org/wpp/Publications/Files/WPP2019_Highlights.pdf (accessed on 6 March 2020).
- IRP. The Weight of Cities: Resource Requirements of Future Urbanization; International Resource Panel, United Nations Environment Programme: Nairobi, Kenya, 2018; Available online: https://www.resourcepanel.org/sites/default/files/documents/document/media/the_weight_of_cities_full_report_english.pdf (accessed on 6 March 2020).
- Babazadeh, T.; Nadrian, H.; Mosaferi, M.; Allahverdipour, H. Identifying Challenges and Barriers to Participating in the Source Separation of Waste Program in Tabriz, Northwest of Iran: A Qualitative Study from the Citizens’ Perspective. Resources 2018, 7, 53. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Vetter-Gindele, J.; Braun, A.; Warth, G.; Bui, T.T.Q.; Bachofer, F.; Eltrop, L. Assessment of Household Solid Waste Generation and Composition by Building Type in Da Nang, Vietnam. Resources 2019, 8, 171. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Eades, P.; Kusch-Brandt, S.; Heaven, S.; Banks, C.J. Estimating the Generation of Garden Waste in England and the Differences between Rural and Urban Areas. Resources 2020, 9, 8. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Akanle, O.; Shittu, O. Value Chain Actors and Recycled Polymer Products in Lagos Metropolis: Toward Ensuring Sustainable Development in Africa’s Megacity. Resources 2018, 7, 55. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Tsai, W.-T. Mandatory Recycling of Waste Cooking Oil from Residential and Commercial Sectors in Taiwan. Resources 2019, 8, 38. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Havelt, T.; Brettschneider, S.; Do, X.T.; Korte, I.; Kreyenschmidt, J.; Schmitz, M. Sustainable Extraction and Characterisation of Bioactive Compounds from Horse Chestnut Seed Coats for the Development of Bio-Based Additives. Resources 2019, 8, 114. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Zhang, Y.; Kusch-Brandt, S.; Gu, S.; Heaven, S. Particle Size Distribution in Municipal Solid Waste Pre-Treated for Bioprocessing. Resources 2019, 8, 166. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Ninikas, K.; Hytiris, N.; Emmanuel, R.; Aaen, B. Recovery and Valorisation of Energy from Wastewater Using a Water Source Heat Pump at the Glasgow Subway: Potential for Similar Underground Environments. Resources 2019, 8, 169. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Sait, M.A.; Chigbu, U.E.; Hamiduddin, I.; De Vries, W.T. Renewable Energy as an Underutilised Resource in Cities: Germany’s ‘Energiewende’ and Lessons for Post-Brexit Cities in the United Kingdom. Resources 2019, 8, 7. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Kusch-Brandt, S. Urban Renewable Energy on the Upswing: A Spotlight on Renewable Energy in Cities in REN21’s “Renewables 2019 Global Status Report”. Resources 2019, 8, 139. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Special Issue “Underutilised Resources in Urban Environments”. Available online: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/resources/special_issues/underutilised_resources (accessed on 6 March 2020).
- Kusch, S.; Fleming, A.; Cradock-Henry, N.; Schmitz, N.; Pereira, L.; Vogt, J.; Lim, M.; Kharrazi, A.; Evoh, C.J.; Hamel, P.; et al. Sustainability in a Changing World: Integrating Human Health and Wellbeing, Urbanisation, and Ecosystem Services. Brief for the UN Global Sustainable Development Report. 2016. Available online: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/9490Brief%20GSDR2016%20FE%20Fellows%20Nexus.pdf (accessed on 6 March 2020).
- REN21. Renewables 2019 Global Status Report; REN21 Secretariat: Paris, France, 2019; ISBN 978-3-9818911-7-1. Available online: http://www.ren21.net/gsr-2019/ (accessed on 26 July 2019).
- IEA (International Energy Agency). Cities Are at the Frontline of the Energy Transition. 7 September 2016. Available online: https://www.iea.org/newsroom/news/2016/september/cities-are-at-the-frontline-of-the-energy-transition.html (accessed on 26 July 2019).
- REN21. Renewables in Cities 2019 Global Status Report; REN21 Secretariat: Paris, France, 2019; ISBN 978-3-9818911-9-5. Available online: https://www.ren21.net/reports/cities-global-status-report/ (accessed on 7 March 2020).
|No.||Title of Publication||Authors||Type of Publication||Circular Economy||Renewable Energy|
|1||Estimating the generation of garden waste in England and the differences between rural and urban areas||Eades et al. ||Research article||+++||+|
|2||Assessment of household solid waste generation and composition by building type in Da Nang, Vietnam||Vetter-Gindele et al. ||Research article||+++||+|
|3||Recovery and valorisation of energy from wastewater using a water source heat pump at the Glasgow subway: potential for similar underground environments||Ninikas et al. ||Communi cation||+++||+|
|4||Particle size distribution in municipal solid waste pre-treated for bioprocessing||Zhang et al. ||Research article||+++||+|
|5||Sustainable extraction and characterisation of bioactive compounds from horse chestnut seed coats for the development of bio-based additives||Havelt at al. ||Research article||+++|
|6||Renewable energy as an underutilised resource in cities: Germany’s ‘Energiewende’ and lessons for post-Brexit cities in the United Kingdom||Sait et al. ||Research article||+++|
|7||Value chain actors and recycled polymer products in Lagos Metropolis: toward ensuring sustainable development in Africa’s megacity||Akanle and Shittu ||Research article||+++|
|8||Identifying challenges and barriers to participating in the source separation of waste program in Tabriz, northwest of Iran: a qualitative study from the citizens’ perspective||Babazadeh et al. ||Research article||+++|
|9||Urban renewable energy on the upswing: a spotlight on renewable energy in cities in REN21’s “Renewables 2019 Global Status Report”||Kusch-Brandt ||Book review||+++|
|10||Mandatory recycling of waste cooking oil from residential and commercial sectors in Taiwan||Tsai ||Case report||+++||+|
© 2020 by the author. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Kusch-Brandt, S. Underutilised Resources in Urban Environments. Resources 2020, 9, 38. https://doi.org/10.3390/resources9040038
Kusch-Brandt S. Underutilised Resources in Urban Environments. Resources. 2020; 9(4):38. https://doi.org/10.3390/resources9040038Chicago/Turabian Style
Kusch-Brandt, Sigrid. 2020. "Underutilised Resources in Urban Environments" Resources 9, no. 4: 38. https://doi.org/10.3390/resources9040038