Anatomical and Functional Changes of the Retina and the Choroid after Resolved Chronic CSCR
AbstractBackground: To investigate anatomical/functional changes after oral eplerenone therapy for chronic central serous chorioretinopathy (CCSC) in successfully treated eyes and fellow eyes and assess timing of foveal subretinal fluid (SRF) resolution. Methods: Twenty-one eyes of 21 patients suffering from CCSC with monolateral foveal SRF successfully treated with oral eplerenone were enrolled in this retrospective study (group 1). The fellow eyes (21 eyes; group 2), healthy or affected by CCSC, without foveal SRF were considered in the analysis. A control healthy group was enrolled as well (healthy controls; n = 21). Main outcome measures during follow-up included changes of best corrected visual acuity (BCVA, logMAR), central macular thickness (CMT; µm), SRF (µm), subfoveal choroidal thickness (SFCT; µm), superficial capillary plexus density (SCPD, %), deep capillary plexus density (DCPD, %), and choriocapillaris density (CCD, %) and percentage of eyes showing foveal SRF resolution at different time points. Results: Functional and anatomical parameters significantly improved during the study in group 1. BCVA increased significantly (p < 0.001), while CMT, SFCT, and SRF decreased significantly (p < 0.001; p < 0.001, and p = 0.037, respectively). SCPD, DCPD, and CCD did not show any statistically significant difference during follow-up. In 71.4% of eyes, resolution of SRF was observed within 60 days and in the remaining 28.6%, at 120 days. In fellow eyes, SFCT decreased significantly (p < 0.001), whilst all other parameters did not modify. Conclusions: Eplerenone treatment in chronic CSCR potentially improves recovery of retinal and choroidal morphology as well as visual acuity gain. A complete resolution of foveal SRF was observed in all eyes during a 4-month follow-up, with most eyes healing at 2 months. View Full-Text
Share & Cite This Article
Toto, L.; D’Aloisio, R.; Mastropasqua, R.; Di Antonio, L.; Di Nicola, M.; Di Martino, G.; Evangelista, F.; Erroi, E.; Doronzo, E.; Mariotti, C. Anatomical and Functional Changes of the Retina and the Choroid after Resolved Chronic CSCR. J. Clin. Med. 2019, 8, 474.
Toto L, D’Aloisio R, Mastropasqua R, Di Antonio L, Di Nicola M, Di Martino G, Evangelista F, Erroi E, Doronzo E, Mariotti C. Anatomical and Functional Changes of the Retina and the Choroid after Resolved Chronic CSCR. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2019; 8(4):474.Chicago/Turabian Style
Toto, Lisa; D’Aloisio, Rossella; Mastropasqua, Rodolfo; Di Antonio, Luca; Di Nicola, Marta; Di Martino, Giuseppe; Evangelista, Federica; Erroi, Emanuele; Doronzo, Emanuele; Mariotti, Cesare. 2019. "Anatomical and Functional Changes of the Retina and the Choroid after Resolved Chronic CSCR." J. Clin. Med. 8, no. 4: 474.
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.