Next Article in Journal / Special Issue
Screening of Antioxidant Activity of Gentian Lutea Root and Its Application in Oil-in-Water Emulsions
Previous Article in Journal
Oxidative Stress Is Associated with Neuroinflammation in Animal Models of HIV-1 Tat Neurotoxicity
Previous Article in Special Issue
Antioxidants in Greek Virgin Olive Oils
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Antioxidants 2014, 3(2), 439-454;

Avocado Seeds: Extraction Optimization and Possible Use as Antioxidant in Food

Chemical Engineering Department, Technical University of Catalonia, Avda. Diagonal 647, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Chemical Engineering Department, Antonio José de Sucre National Experimental Polytechnic University, Avenida Corpahuaico, 3001 Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 25 February 2014 / Revised: 18 April 2014 / Accepted: 13 May 2014 / Published: 10 June 2014
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Antioxidants in Oils)
Full-Text   |   PDF [879 KB, uploaded 10 June 2014]   |  


Consumption of avocado (Persea americana Mill) has increased worldwide in recent years. Part of this food (skin and seed) is lost during processing. However, a high proportion of bioactive substances, such as polyphenols, remain in this residue. The primary objective of this study was to model the extraction of polyphenols from the avocado pits. In addition, a further objective was to use the extract obtained to evaluate the protective power against oxidation in food systems, as for instance oil in water emulsions and meat products. Moreover, the possible synergy between the extracts and egg albumin in the emulsions is discussed. In Response Surface Method (RSM), the variables used are: temperature, time and ethanol concentration. The results are the total polyphenols content (TPC) and the antiradical power measured by Oxygen Radical Antioxidant Capacity (ORAC). In emulsions, the primary oxidation, by Peroxide Value and in fat meat the secondary oxidation, by TBARS (Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances), were analyzed. The RSM model has an R2 of 94.69 for TPC and 96.7 for ORAC. In emulsions, the inhibition of the oxidation is about 30% for pure extracts and 60% for the combination of extracts with egg albumin. In the meat burger oxidation, the formation of TBARS is avoided by 90%. View Full-Text
Keywords: RSM; avocado pit; ORAC; extraction; emulsion; oxidation; meat RSM; avocado pit; ORAC; extraction; emulsion; oxidation; meat

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0).

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Gómez, F.S.; Sánchez, S.P.; Iradi, M.G.G.; Azman, N.A.M.; Almajano, M.P. Avocado Seeds: Extraction Optimization and Possible Use as Antioxidant in Food. Antioxidants 2014, 3, 439-454.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics



[Return to top]
Antioxidants EISSN 2076-3921 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top