- freely available
Environments 2017, 4(1), 6; https://doi.org/10.3390/environments4010006
2. Development of an Agricultural Environmental Protection System Using ICT
2.1. Application of ICT in a Pilot Study Area
2.2. Conceptual Model of the Agricultural Environmental Protection System Based on the ICT System
2.3. Management Based on the Agricultural Environmental Protection ICT System
Conflicts of Interest
- Gouveia, C.; Fonseca, A. New approaches to environmental monitoring: The use of ICT to explore volunteered geographic information. GeoJournal 2008, 72, 185–197. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Schimak, G.; Rizzoli, A.E.; Watson, K. Sensors and the environment—Modelling & ICT challenges. Environ. Model. Softw. 2010, 25, 975–976. [Google Scholar]
- Klug, H.; Kmoch, A. Operationalizing environmental indicators for real time multi-purpose decision making and action support. Ecol. Model. 2015, 295, 66–74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Aqeel-ur-Rehman Abbasi, A.Z.; Islam, N.; Shaikh, Z.A. A review of wireless sensors and networks’ applications in agriculture. Comput. Stand. Interfaces 2014, 36, 263–270. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cardell-Oliver, R.; Smettem, K.; Kranz, M.; Mayer, K. Field Testing a Wireless Sensor Network for Reactive Environmental Monitoring. In Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 14–17 December 2004; pp. 7–12.
- Řezník, T.; Charvát, K.; Lukas, V.; Charvát, K., Jr.; Horáková, Š.; Kepka, M. Open Data Model for (Precision) Agriculture Applications and Agricultural Pollution Monitoring. In Proceedings of the EnviroInfo and ICT for Sustainability—ACSR Advances in Computer Science Research, Copenhagen, Denmark, 7–9 September 2015; p. 22.
- Andreopoulou, Z. Green Informatics: ICT for green and Sustainability. Agrárinform. J. Agric. Inform. 2012, 3, 1–8. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gouveia, C.; Fonseca, A.; Câmara, A.; Ferreira, F. Promoting the use of environmental data collected by concerned citizens through information and communication technologies. J. Environ. Manag. 2004, 71, 135–154. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Opara, L.U. Traceability in agriculture and food supply chain: A review of basic concepts, technological implications, and future prospects. J. Food Agric. Environ. 2003, 1, 101–106. [Google Scholar]
- Yoshida, K.; Tanaka, K.; Hariya, R.; Azechi, I.; Iida, T.; Maeda, S.; Kuroda, H. Contribution of ICT monitoring system in agricultural water management and environmental conservation. In Serviceology for Designing the Future; Springer: Tokyo, Japan, 2016; pp. 359–369. [Google Scholar]
- Mancuso, M.; Bustaffa, F. A Wireless Sensors Network for Monitoring Environmental Variables in a Tomato Greenhouse. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems, Torino, Italy, 27 June 2006; pp. 107–110.
- Rao, N.H. A framework for implementing information and communication technologies in agricultural development in India. Technol. Forecast. Soc. Chang. 2007, 74, 491–518. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Reddy, P.K.; Ramaraju, G.V.; Reddy, G.S. Syamasundar eSagu™: A Data Warehouse Enabled Personalized Agricultural Advisory System. In Proceedings of the 2007 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Beijing, China, 11–14 June 2007; ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2007; pp. 910–914. [Google Scholar]
- Jiang, P.; Xia, H.; He, Z.; Wang, Z. Design of a water environment monitoring system based on wireless sensor networks. Sensors 2009, 9, 6411–6434. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Adil, A.; Badarla, V.; Plappally, A.K.; Bhandari, R.; Sankhla, P.C. Development of Affordable ICT Solutions for Water Conservation in Agriculture. In Proceedings of the 2015 7th International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), Bangalore, India, 6–10 January 2015; pp. 1–6.
- Bartlett, A.C.; Andales, A.A.; Arabi, M.; Bauder, T.A. A smartphone app to extend use of a cloud-based irrigation scheduling tool. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2015, 111, 127–130. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sesma, J.; Molina-Martínez, J.M.; Cavas-Martínez, F.; Fernández-Pacheco, D.G. A mobile application to calculate optimum drip irrigation laterals. Agric. Water Manag. 2015, 151, 13–18. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Pulido-Calvo, I.; Montesinos, P.; Roldán, J.; Ruiz-Navarro, F. Linear regressions and neural approaches to water demand forecasting in irrigation districts with telemetry systems. Biosyst. Eng. 2007, 97, 283–293. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Jagannathan, S.; Priyatharshini, R. Smart Farming System Using Sensors for Agricultural Task Automation. In Proceedings of the IEEE Technological Innovation in ICT for Agriculture and Rural Development (TIAR), Chennai, India, 10–12 July 2015; pp. 49–53.
- Perea, R.G.; García, I.F.; Arroyo, M.M.; Díaz, J.R.; Poyato, E.C.; Montesinos, P. Multiplatform application for precision irrigation scheduling in strawberries. Agric. Water Manag. 2016. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lin, W.C.; Lin, Y.P.; Wang, Y.C. A decision-making approach for delineating sites which are potentially contaminated by heavy metals via joint simulation. Environ. Pollut. 2016, 211, 98–110. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Lin, Y.P.; Cheng, B.Y.; Shyu, G.S.; Chang, T.K. Combining a finite mixture distribution model with indicator kriging to delineate and map the spatial patterns of soil heavy metal pollution in Chunghua County, central Taiwan. Environ. Pollut. 2010, 158, 235–244. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Nemerow, N.L. Stream, Lake, Estuary, and Ocean Pollution; John Wiley & Sons Inc.: Hoboken, NJ, USA, 1991. [Google Scholar]
- Chen, H.; Teng, Y.; Lu, S.; Wang, Y.; Wang, J. Contamination features and health risk of soil heavy metals in China. Sci. Total Environ. 2015, 512, 143–153. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Zhou, J.; Feng, K.; Pei, Z.; Lu, M. Pollution assessment and spatial variation of soil heavy metals in Lixia River Region of Eastern China. J. Soils Sediments 2016, 16, 748–755. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Council of Agriculture. Evaluation Directions of Irrigation Water Quality; Council of Agriculture: Taipei, Taiwan, 2016.
- Hill, D.J.; Minsker, B.S. Anomaly detection in streaming environmental sensor data: A data-driven modeling approach. Environ. Model. Softw. 2010, 25, 1014–1022. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Radu, L.D. Determinants of Green ICT Adoption in Organizations: A Theoretical Perspective. Sustainability 2016, 8, 731. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Klimova, A.; Rondeau, E.; Andersson, K.; Porras, J.; Rybin, A.; Zaslavsky, A. An international Master’s program in green ICT as a contribution to sustainable development. J. Clean. Prod. 2016, 135, 223–239. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- De Luis, M.M.; Cruz, A.J.A.; Arcia, A.V.U.; Márquez, C.Y. Green Information Technology influence on car owners’ behavior. Comput. Hum. Behav. 2015, 51, 792–802. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
|Agricultural Environment||Key Management Issue||Adaptation Strategies and Technologies|
|Water Management||If classification is not implemented, it is difficult to maintain environmental and production safety standards||Hierarchical management of agricultural and environmental water resources|
|Irrigation water quality||Channel pollutant transmission difficult to monitor||Create an agricultural irrigation water management center and implement heavy metal irrigation monitoring techniques|
|Sediment||Heavy metal sediments can become exposed, thereby polluting areas for a second time||Develop a pollutant mobility model, establish a water body carrying capacity|
|Agricultural Soil||The effectiveness of contaminated soil remediation is limited||Integrate pollution management subsidy mechanisms|
|Crops||Horticultural techniques are not being used in the safe management of crops||Establish crop safety management and cultivation techniques|
|Production||There is a lack of environmental data concerning agricultural production||Integrate environmental resources, increase traceability of products and associated value|
|Channel IWQI Range||100–50||<50||> Regulations of Heavy Metals|
|Irrigation water quality grade||I||II||III|
© 2017 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).