Should Dogs and Cats be Given as Gifts?
2. Experimental Section
2.1. Items from Survey
- Involvement in the selection of the pet: Were you involved, in any manner, in the selection process of the pet that you received as a gift? Response options were: Yes, you were involved; No, you were not involved but you wish you were involved; Or, no, the pet was a surprise and that was okay.
- Attachment to pet: Did receiving a pet as a gift increase, decrease or have no impact on your love or attachment to the pet? Response options were: increased my love or attachment to the pet; decreased my love or attachment to the pet; did not make any difference.
- Duration of ownership: Is that pet still with you? Response options were: Yes; No, he or she passed away; Or, no, the pet has another home.
2.2. Data Analysis
3. Results and Discussion
|Impact on self-perceived love or attachment|
|Increased||Decreased||No Difference||Total *|
|n (row %)||n (row %)||n (row %)|
|Levels of Involvement in pet selection||Surprised, but it was ok||72(59.5)||5(4.1)||44(36.4)||121|
|Surprised, wish involved||11(64.7)||0(0.0)||6(35.3)||17|
|Pet still in the home|
|Yes||No, died||No, rehomed||Total *|
|n (row %)||n (row %)||n (row %)|
|Levels of Involvement in pet selection||Surprised, but it was ok||92(76.7)||13(10.8)||15(12.5)||120|
|Surprised, wish involved||13(76.5)||3(17.7)||1(5.9)||17|
Conflicts of Interest
- Oregon Veterinary Medical Association. Giving Pets as Gifts: Consider the Choice Carefully. Available online: https://oregonvma.org/care-health/giving-pets-gifts (accessed on 30 August 2013).
- Santa Barbara Humane Society. Services Pet Adoptions. Available online: http://sbhumanesociety.org/services/adoption.php (accessed on 30 August 2013).
- WebMDSM. Giving Pets as Gifts: 4 Rules to Follow. Available online: http://pets.webmd.com/features/giving-pets-as-gifts (accessed on 30 August 2013).
- American Humane Association. Keeping Pets (Dogs and Cats) in Homes: A Three-Phase Retention Study. Phase II: Descriptive Study of Post-Adoption Retention in Six Shelters in Three U.S. Cities. Available online: http://www.americanhumane.org/petsmart-keeping-pets-phase-ii.pdf (accessed on 9 September 2013).
- New, J.C., Jr.; Salman, M.D.; King, M.; Scarlett, J.M.; Kass, P.H.; Hutchison, J.M. Characteristics of Shelter-Relinquished Animals and Their Owners Compared with Animals and Their Owners in U.S. Pet-Owning Households. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 2000, 3, 179–201. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- New, J.C., Jr.; Salman, M.D.; Scarlett, J.M.; Kass, P.H.; Vaughn, J.A.; Scherr, S.; Kelch, W.J. Moving: Characteristics of Dogs and Cats and Those Relinquishing Them to 12 U.S. Animal Shelters. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 1999, 2, 83–96. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Scarlett, J.M.; Salman, M.D.; New, J.G., Jr.; Kass, P.H. Reasons for Relinquishment of Companion Animals in U.S. Animal Shelters: Selected Health and Personal Issues. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 1999, 2, 41–57. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Patronek, G.J.; Glickman, L.T.; Beck, A.M.; McCabe, G.P.; Ecker, C. Risk Factors for Relinquishment of Dogs to an Animal Shelter. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 1996, 209, 572–581. [Google Scholar]
- Patronek, G.J.; Glickman, L.T.; Beck, A.M.; McCabe, G.P.; Ecker, C. Risk factors for Relinquishment of Cats to an Animal Shelter. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 1996, 209, 582–588. [Google Scholar]
- U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook; American Veterinary Medical Association: Schaumburg, IL, USA, 2012.
- O’Brien, S.J. For Parents Particularly. Child. Educ. 1988, 64, 230–231. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
© 2013 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
Share and Cite
Weiss, E.; Dolan, E.D.; Garrison, L.; Hong, J.; Slater, M. Should Dogs and Cats be Given as Gifts? Animals 2013, 3, 995-1001. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani3040995
Weiss E, Dolan ED, Garrison L, Hong J, Slater M. Should Dogs and Cats be Given as Gifts? Animals. 2013; 3(4):995-1001. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani3040995Chicago/Turabian Style
Weiss, Emily, Emily D. Dolan, Laurie Garrison, Julie Hong, and Margaret Slater. 2013. "Should Dogs and Cats be Given as Gifts?" Animals 3, no. 4: 995-1001. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani3040995