Next Article in Journal
Microphytobenthos Biomass and Diversity Mapping at Different Spatial Scales with a Hyperspectral Optical Model
Next Article in Special Issue
On the Desiccation of the South Aral Sea Observed from Spaceborne Missions
Previous Article in Journal
Assessment of Classifiers and Remote Sensing Features of Hyperspectral Imagery and Stereo-Photogrammetric Point Clouds for Recognition of Tree Species in a Forest Area of High Species Diversity
Previous Article in Special Issue
Coastal Improvements for Tide Models: The Impact of ALES Retracker
Open AccessArticle

3D Geostrophy and Volume Transport in the Southern Ocean

Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Alicante, E-03080 Alicante, Spain
Institute of Earth Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan, ROC
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Remote Sens. 2018, 10(5), 715;
Received: 14 March 2018 / Revised: 30 April 2018 / Accepted: 3 May 2018 / Published: 5 May 2018
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Satellite Altimetry for Earth Sciences)
The 3D geostrophic currents and the associated volume transport (VT) can be estimated from the GOCE and Altimetry satellite data and in-situ temperature and salinity profiles measured by the Argo floats. We do so for the Southern Ocean between 20°S and 65°S with their time variability down to the depth of 1975 m (in 58 layers) over the 11-year period of 2004–2014. The results depict the Southern Ocean circulation where a zonal Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) interacts with a meridional thermohaline circulation. The VT reproduces the polar front and the subantarctic front of the ACC, as well as the large scale and mesoscale currents in the Southern Ocean. Our estimates for the Agulhas current and the East Australia currents are also quantitatively comparable with results from other approaches in the literature based on in-situ data. For ACC, the estimated VT at the Drake Passage is 185 Sv for the norm of the time average VT, or 202 Sv for the mean of the norms of the monthly VT, which are larger than previous estimations (ranging from 134 to 175 Sv). The estimate is potentially reconciled when only the zonal transport is considered (181 Sv). The Drake Passage total VT appears to be quite stable during the studied period, unlike its (dominant) zonal and meridional components which show higher variability that mostly compensate each other. The spatially averaged ACC VT shows per 1° width in the main stream a mean value of 29.6 Sv or 35.8 Sv (depending on the method used), an annual signal with an amplitude of 0.33 ± 0.06 Sv that peaks in early April, with no significant semi-annual signals nor linear trend. Water transports of barotropic and baroclinic origin have been isolated in the VT series showing that 75% of transport is barotropic and the remaining 25% baroclinic, while the variability and annual signal in the ACC is fully barotropic. View Full-Text
Keywords: ocean geostrophy; water volume transport; satellite geodesy; space gravity; altimetry; Argo; Southern Ocean; ACC ocean geostrophy; water volume transport; satellite geodesy; space gravity; altimetry; Argo; Southern Ocean; ACC
Show Figures

Graphical abstract

MDPI and ACS Style

Vigo, M.I.; García-García, D.; Sempere, M.D.; Chao, B.F. 3D Geostrophy and Volume Transport in the Southern Ocean. Remote Sens. 2018, 10, 715.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

Search more from Scilit
Back to TopTop