Degradation Evaluation Method with a Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules †
2. Characteristics of Aging Factors in PV Modules
3. Implementation of a Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules
3.1. PV Module Section
3.2. Monitoring Section
3.3. Entire Configuration of the Test Device
4. Degradation Evaluation Modeling Using MATLAB
5. Case Studies
5.1. Operation Conditions
5.2. Season-Basis Output Characteristics in PV Modules
5.3. Aging Characteristics in PV Modules
- The measurement data, such as solar radiation, temperature, and module-basis output data, which are collected by one-minute basis, are smoothened based on modeling of polynomial regression filter using MATLAB S/W in order to minimize the variability of PV output, communication error, delay, etc.
- From the evaluation results of output power characteristics of new and aged PV modules between January and October in 2020, it was found that the average reduction rates of output power of aged PV modules for each season were calculated as 28.25%, 50.53%, 5.23%, and 20.01%, and the maximum reduction rate was obtained as 50.53% in the summer season.
- In the case of summer in 2020, when the rainy weather lasted for weeks, the minimum and maximum reduction rates of output power were respectively calculated as 10.39% and 62.75%, and the average was 50.53% due to low solar radiation and high temperature. Namely, the characteristics of output power in aged PV modules can be reduced much more than new PV modules when the solar radiation is very low as the output voltage of the aged PV modules can be decreased below the range of operation voltage, while new PV modules can still maintain within the range of operation voltage.
- Based on the aging characteristics of aged PV modules for all seasons, it was found that there was a considerable deviation among modules since the total degradation rates for 19 years were calculated as 29.35% and 22.69%, while yearly-basis degradation rates were calculated as 1.81% and 1.35%, respectively, and also, it was found that the average and yearly-basis degradation rate of the entire aged PV modules were calculated as 25.73% and 1.55%, respectively.
- From the test results performed by season and year, based on the actual measurement data of new and aged PV modules, it was confirmed that the proposed method can evaluate the deterioration rate of PV modules in an objective manner, by minimizing the errors from the process of compensation calculation, using the proposed test device for deterioration diagnosis in PV modules, and effectively performing the aging diagnosis without implementing facilities for STC.
Conflicts of Interest
- IHS Markit. Global Solar PV Installations to Grow 20% in 2022, Despite Rising Costs: IHS Markit. 2021. Available online: https://cleanenergynews.ihsmarkit.com/research-analysis/global-solar-pv-installations-to-grow-20-in-2022-despite-risin.html (accessed on 2 February 2022).
- MERCOM. Golobal Installed Solar Capacity Could Reach 3000 GW by 2030. 2021. Available online: https://mercomindia.com/global-installed-solar-capacity-could-reach-3000-gw-by-2030-report/ (accessed on 2 February 2022).
- SolarPower Europe. Solar Continues to Break Installation Records, on Track for Terawatt Scale by 2022. 2021. Available online: https://www.solarpowereurope.org/solar-continues-to-break-installation-records-on-track-for-terawatt-scale-by-2022/ (accessed on 2 February 2022).
- Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. Global solar installations to hit 191GW in 2021—BNEF 2021. Available online: https://ieefa.org/global-solar-installations-to-hit-191gw-in-2021-bnef/ (accessed on 2 February 2022).
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy of Korea. Third Energy Master Plan; Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy of Korea: Sejong, Korea, 2019.
- Energy & Environment News. Carbon Neutrality Should Be Brought Forward to 2040, Not 2050. 2021. Available online: http://www.e2news.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=235732 (accessed on 2 February 2022).
- Shen, J.; Choi, S.M.; Han, B.G.; Jung, J.B.; Rho, D.S. Degradation Evaluation Method with Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules. In Proceedings of the APAP 2021 Conference, Jeju, Korea, 11–14 October 2021. [Google Scholar]
- Lee, Y.J.; Kim, Y.S. Prediction and Accuracy Analysis of Photovoltaic Module Temperature based on Predictive Models in Summer. J. Korean Sol. Energy Soc. 2017, 37, 25–38. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Bouraiou, A.; Hamouda, M.; Chaker, A.; Lachtar, A.; Neçaibia, A.; Boutasseta, N.; Mostefaoui, M. Experimental evaluation of the performance and degradation of single crystalline silicon photovoltaic modules in the Saharan environment. Energy 2017, 132, 22–30. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Belluardo, G.; Ingenhoven, P.; Sparber, W.; Wagner, J.; Weihs, P.; Moser, D. Novel method for the improvement in the evaluation of outdoor performance loss rate in different PV technologies and comparison with two other methods. Sol. Energy 2015, 117, 139–152. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ndiaye, A.; Kébé, C.M.F.; Charki, A.; Ndiaye, P.A.; Sambou, V.; Kobi, A. Degradation evaluation of crystalline-silicon photovoltaic modules after a few operation years in a tropical environment. Solar Energy 2014, 103, 70–77. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- JRC Scientific and Technical Reports. Guidelines for PV Power Measurement in Industry. 2010. Available online: https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/b8d58e51-7d17-4706-8766-ef16c588891f/language-en (accessed on 16 April 2022).
- Park, J.H.; Lee, H.D.; Tae, D.H.; Ferreira, M.; Rho, D.S. A Study on Disposal Diagnosis Algorithm of PV Modules Considering Performance Degradation Rate. Korea Acad. Ind. Coop. Soc. 2019, 20, 493–502. [Google Scholar]
- Lee, K.H.; Choi, S.S.; Kim, B.K.; Jung, J.Y.; Kim, C.H.; Rho, D.S. Development of Aging Diagnosis Algorithm for Photovoltaic Modules by Considering Electric Characteristics and Environment Factors. Korean Inst. Electr. Eng. 2015, 64, 1411–1417. [Google Scholar]
- Shen, J. A Study on Deterioration Diagnosis Algorithm for Photovoltaic Modules by Considering Electrical Characteristics and Environmental Factors. Master’s Thesis, Graduate School, Koreatech, Korea, 2018. [Google Scholar]
- Polverini, D.; Field, M.; Dunlop, E.; Zaaiman, W. Polycrystalline silicon PV modules performance and degradation over 20 years. Photovoltaics 2012, 21, 1004–1015. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sinha, A.; Sastry, O.S.; Gupta, R. Nondestructive characterization of encapsulant discoloration effects in crystalline-silicon PV modules. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 2016, 155, 234–242. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Oh, W.W.; Chan, S.I. Corrosion mitigation of photovoltaic ribbon using a sacrificial anode. Korea Acad. Ind. Coop. Soc. 2017, 18, 681–686. [Google Scholar]
- Oreski, G.; Wallner, G.M. Delamination behaviour of multi-layer films for PV encapsulation. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 2005, 89, 139–151. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Song, Y.H.; Kang, G.H.; Yu, G.J.; Ahn, H.G.; Han, D.Y. A Study on the Electrical Characteristics of Photovoltaic Module Depending on Micro-Crack Patterns of Crystalline Silicon Solar Cell. Korean Inst. Electr. Eng. 2012, 61, 407–412. [Google Scholar]
- Barak, P. Smoothing and Differentiation by an Adaptive-Degree Polynomial Filter. Anal. Chem. 1955, 67, 2758–2762. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lee, D.K. Cross Correlation based Signal Classification for Monitoring System of Abnormal Respiratory Status. Korea Acad. Ind. Coop. Soc. 2020, 21, 7–13. [Google Scholar]
- Zhao, A.X.; Tang, X.J.; Zhang, Z.H.; Liu, J.H. The parameters optimization selection of Savitzky-Golay filter and its application in smoothing pretreatment for FTIR spectra. In Proceedings of the 9th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, Hangzhou, China, 9–11 June 2014. [Google Scholar]
- Dombi, J.; Dineva, A. Adaptive Multi-round Smoothing Based on the Savitzky-Golay Filter. Soft Comput. Appl. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput. 2016, 633, 446–454. [Google Scholar]
|Aging Factor||Aging Phenomenon||Electrical Characteristics|
|Classification||Aged Modules (PA)||New Modules (PN)|
|date of manufacture||2001~2002||2019|
|type of crystal||monocrystal||monocrystal|
|maximum output power (W)||53||50|
|open-circuit voltage (V)||21.7||21.5|
|short-circuit current (A)||3.25||3.19|
|voltage at maximum power point (V)||17.4||17.5|
|current at maximum power point (A)||3.05||2.86|
|Monthly Average PV Output (W)||Season-Basis Average (W)||Adjusted Season-Basis Average (W)|
|Module No.||Season-Basis Average PV Output (W)||Yearly Average |
|Module No.||Season-Basis Average PV Output (W)||Yearly Average Output (W)|
|Module No.||Season-Basis Reduction Rate of Output (%)||Degradation Rate (%)|
|Spring||Summer||Fall||Winter||Total Period||Yearly Average|
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Shen, J.; Han, B.-G.; Kim, J.-M.; Choi, S.-M.; Kim, K.-H.; Lee, H.-D.; Tae, D.-H.; Rho, D.-S. Degradation Evaluation Method with a Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules. Energies 2022, 15, 3851. https://doi.org/10.3390/en15113851
Shen J, Han B-G, Kim J-M, Choi S-M, Kim K-H, Lee H-D, Tae D-H, Rho D-S. Degradation Evaluation Method with a Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules. Energies. 2022; 15(11):3851. https://doi.org/10.3390/en15113851Chicago/Turabian Style
Shen, Jian, Byeong-Gill Han, Ji-Myung Kim, Sung-Moon Choi, Kyung-Hwa Kim, Hu-Dong Lee, Dong-Hyun Tae, and Dae-Seok Rho. 2022. "Degradation Evaluation Method with a Test Device for Aging Diagnosis in PV Modules" Energies 15, no. 11: 3851. https://doi.org/10.3390/en15113851