Open Access This article is
- freely available
Diversity 2019, 11(2), 16; https://doi.org/10.3390/d11020016
Replacement Names for Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler and Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler (Coleoptera: Curculionoidea: Mesophyletidae)
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Memphis, 3700 Walker Ave, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
CSIRO, Australian National Insect Collection, G.P.O. Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Authors to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 14 January 2019 / Accepted: 19 January 2019 / Published: 22 January 2019
In a recent paper we published on the weevil fauna preserved in Burmese amber, two newly proposed generic names were subsequently identified as preoccupied names (Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler and Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler). We propose the name Zimmiorhinus as a replacement name for Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler and Burmophyletis as a replacement name for Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler.
Keywords:homonym; taxonomy; Curculionoidea; Mesophyletidae; Cretaceous
The recent paper by Clarke et al. published in Diversity 11(1)  proposed the new name of Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler, with type species Elwoodius conicops Clarke & Oberprieler, and Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler, with type species Platychirus beloides Clarke & Oberprieler, for two weevil species assigned to the extinct family Mesophyletidae. Each of these species were represented by unique holotypes preserved in Burmese amber. The name Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler is preoccupied by the name of an extant weevil genus, Elwoodius Colonnelli, 2014, with type species Elwoodius barbatus (Curculionidae) from Socotra Is., Yemen . The name Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler is preoccupied by the synonymic name of an extant fly genus, Platychirus Agassiz, 1846 (Syrphidae) , being an intentional though unjustified emendation [4,5] of the valid name Platycheirus Lepeletier & Serville, 1828 , but an available name. Both of these available names had escaped our searches for homonyms of all generic names proposed in our paper.
Neither of these two homonymic names proposed by Clarke & Oberprieler  have any synonyms; therefore, for each of them a substitute name must be proposed with its own author and date, in accordance with Article 60.3 of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature . The purpose of this Communication is to propose these replacement names.
2. Replacement Names
Genus Zimmiorhinus Clarke & Oberprieler, new name
Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018, non Elwoodius Colonnelli, 2014 . Type species: Elwoodius conicops Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018.
Remarks/Derivation of name. Like the preoccupied name Elwoodius Clarke & Oberprieler, this replacement name is proposed in honor of the late Elwood C. Zimmerman, affectionately known as ‘Zimmie’. Its gender is masculine. The single species included in the genus is Zimmiorhinus conicops (Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018), comb.n.
Genus Burmophyletis Clarke & Oberprieler, new name
Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018, non Platychirus Agassiz, 1846 . Type species: Platychirus beloides Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018.
Remarks/Derivation of name. This replacement name for Platychirus Clarke & Oberprieler is derived from Burma, the old name for Myanmar, where the specimen was found, and the Greek word phyle, tribe or race, in reference to the genus Mesophyletis, the type genus of Mesophyletidae. Its gender is feminine. The single species included in the genus is Burmophyletis beloides (Clarke & Oberprieler, 2018), comb.n.
We thank Enzo Colonnelli for alerting us to the existence of the name Elwoodius Colonnelli, which also facilitated the discovery of the name Platychirus Agassiz.
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Clarke, D.J.; Limaye, A.; McKenna, D.D.; Oberprieler, R.G. The Weevil Fauna Preserved in Burmese Amber—Snapshot of a Unique, Extinct Lineage (Coleoptera: Curculionoidea). Diversity 2018, 11, 1. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Colonnelli, E. Apionidae, Nanophyidae, Brachyceridae and Curculionidae except Scolytinae (Coleoptera) from Socotra Island. Acta Entomol. Musei Natl. Prague 2014, 54, 295–422. [Google Scholar]
- Agassiz, L. Nomenclatoris Zoologici Index Universalis, Continens Nomina Systematica Classium, Ordinum, Familiarum et Generum Animalium Omnium, Tam Viventium Quam Fossilium, Secundum Ordinem Alphabeticum Unicum Disposita, Adjectis Homonymiis Plantarum, Nec Non Variis Adnotationibus Et Emendationibus; Jent et Gassmann: Soloduri, 1846. [Google Scholar]
- Evenhuis, N.L. Family Syrphidae. Catalog of the Fossil Flies of the World (Insecta: Diptera) Website. Available online: http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/fossilcat/fosssyrph.html (accessed on 9 January 2019).
- Young, A.D.; Marshall, S.A.; Skevington, J.H. Revision of Platycheirus Lepeletier and Serville (Diptera: Syrphidae) in the Nearctic north of Mexico. Zootaxa 2016, 4082, 1–317. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Latreille, P.A.; Lepeletier, A.L.M.; Serville, J.G.A.; Guérin, F.E. Entomologie, ou histoire naturelle des crustacés, des arachnides et des insectes. In Encylopédie Méthodique. Histoire Naturelle; Tome Dixième: Paris, France, 1828; pp. 345–833. [Google Scholar]
- International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. INTERNATIONAL CODE OF ZOOLOGICAL NOMENCLATURE Fourth Edition [Incorporating Declaration 44, Amendments of Article 74.7.3, with Effect from 31 December 1999 and the Amendment on E-Publication, Amendments to Articles 8, 9, 10, 21 and 78, with Effect from 1 January 2012]. 2012. Available online: http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp (accessed on 14 January 2019).
© 2019 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).