Aims and Scope
Quaternary (ISSN 2571-550X, ESCI & Scopus Indexed) is an international, peer-reviewed, open access journal of Quaternary Science, embracing the whole range of scientific fields related to geological, geographical, biological, physical, chemical, environmental and human sciences. It publishes reviews, research articles, communications, technical notes and essays. There is no restriction on the length of the papers and we encourage authors to publish their results in as much detail as possible.
The scope of Quaternary encompasses the following research topics dealing with all Quaternary environments and processes. In particular, we mention
-Sedimentary evolution, environments and processes as stratigraphy (including chronology and correlation), palaeontology (including biodiversity and diversification), tectonic history, geophysical imaging, geochemical properties, dating (including methodology), palaeosols, limnology, and geomorphological evolution, processes and reconstructions (including palaeohydrology).
- Palaeoclimatology: Reconstruction and modelling, oceanic and atmospheric dynamics, climatic cycles and astronomical forcing, episodic and abrupt climatic changes, feedbacks and non-linear responses, high-resolution and long records, dendroclimatology, historical documentary archives, and global change.
- Palaeoecology: Terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecosystems, biotic responses to environmental change, community assembly and succession, impact of human activities, climate–human feedbacks and synergies, and global biogeochemical processes.
- Archaeology and anthropology: Human evolution and habitats, artifact technology, human influence on ecosystems and landscape, climate–landscape–human feedbacks and synergies, and ancient DNA.
- Methods: Palaeoarchives (including global databases), field and laboratory methods, dating techniques, and novel proxies (e.g., biomarkers).
- Applications: Natural hazards (volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, floods, droughts, etc.) monitoring, prediction and risk assessment, input for geo-biodiversity conservation, geoparks, landscape restoration, and natural resource management.
- Palaeoinsights (philosophical aspects): Opinion papers, new perspectives, science, and society.
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Quaternary is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
St. Alban-Anlage 66
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Quaternary will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is . For further MDPI contacts, see here.
Announcement and Advertisement
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is .
For further MDPI contacts, see here.