Holography and the Luxury Industry
2. Application Domains
2.1. Holograms as Luxury Merchandise
2.2. Holograms in Luxury Merchandise Promotion
2.3. Holograms as Authentication Devices
3. Discussion: Looking Forward
Conflicts of Interest
- Johnston, S.F. Holographic Visions: A History of New Science; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2006. [Google Scholar]
- Johnston, S.F. Holograms: A Cultural History; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2016. [Google Scholar]
- Saxby, G.; Zacharovas, S. Practical Holography; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2016. [Google Scholar]
- Bjelkhagen, H.; Brotherton-Ratcliffe, D. Ultra-Realistic Imaging; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Luxury Daily. Available online: https://www.luxurydaily.com/?s=hologram (accessed on 27 April 2021).
- Deloitte Global. Global Powers of Luxury Goods 2020. Available online: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/at/Documents/consumer-business/at-global-powers-luxury-goods-2020.pdf (accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Walash, E. Holograms Beam Into Fashion. WWD, 5 December 1988; Volume 156. [Google Scholar]
- Sharpe, R.A.; Manners, M.J. Holographic Image Containing Foil-Textile Laminate. U.S. Patent 5,593,765, 14 January 1997. [Google Scholar]
- Sharpe, R.A.; Zenessex, Essex, UK. Personal communication, 2021.
- Brannigan, M. Designers want you coated in shimmery, holographic iridescence for fall. Fashionista, 2 March 2018. Available online: https://fashionista.com/2018/03/fashion-week-fall-2018-trend-iridescent-holographic-fabric(accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Denisyuk, Y.N. On the Reproduction of the Optical Properties of an Object by the Wave Field of its Own Scattered Radiation. Opt. Spectrosc. 1963, 18, 365–368. [Google Scholar]
- Bold, K. Lighter Side of Jewelry: With Holograms Adorning Traditional Accessories, Finery Takes on a 3rd Dimension. Los Angeles Times, 5 June 1992. [Google Scholar]
- Rallison, R.D. The History of Dichromates. Available online: https://wasatchphotonics.com/wp-content/uploads/The-History-of-Dichromates1.pdf (accessed on 1 May 2021).
- Murphy, M. It All Began with a Hologram. The New York Times, 23 November 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Leith, E.N.; Upatnieks, J. Wavefront Reconstruction with Diffused Illumination and Three-Dimensional Objects. J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 1964, 54, 1295–1301. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rix, J. Exposure. The British Journal of Photography, 13 March 1987. [Google Scholar]
- Edelson, S. Hologram casts hue in fashion. Adweek’s Marketing Week, 9 October 1989; Volume 41, P10. [Google Scholar]
- Zacharovas, S.J.; Brotherton-Ratcliffe, D. A Digital Printing System for the Commercial Production of High-Resolution True-Colour Reflection Holograms. 2005. Available online: https://geola.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Holopack_holoprint_2005_Geola.pdf (accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Williams, E. How we made Alexander McQueen’s Kate Moss hologram. Creative Review, 15 March 2015. Available online: https://www.creativereview.co.uk/alexander-mcqueens-kate-moss-hologram/(accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Cartner-Morley, J. Alexander McQueen: Into the light. The Guardian, 10 February 2015. [Google Scholar]
- Crowder, A.; Conway, B.; Senkiewicz, T.P. Travel Case for Portable Pepper’s Ghost Illusion Setup. U.S. Patent 10,384,144 B2, 20 August 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Lippert, B. Target’s holo promise: Fashion spectacle is a technological treat but a fashion flop. ADWEEK, 12 November 2007; Volume 48, 22. [Google Scholar]
- Robinson, J. First Look at the Star Wars: The Last Jedi Shoes from Christian Louboutin. Vanity Fair, 7 December 2017. [Google Scholar]
- McDowell, M. Forced cancellations jumpstart virtual fashion technology. Vogue Business, 17 March 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Wu, W. Does a Lack of Options Mean AR Is Here To Stay? Jing Daily, 6 May 2020. Available online: https://jingdaily.com/does-a-lack-options-mean-ar-is-here-to-stay/(accessed on 1 May 2021).
- Driver, R. Luxury brands lose $30.3 billion due to online counterfeiting in 2017. Fashion Network, 16 May 2018. Available online: https://uk.fashionnetwork.com/news/Luxury-brands-lose-30-3-billion-due-to-online-counterfeiting-in-2017,977978.html(accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Passariello, C. Holograms Tell Fake From Fendi. The Wall St. Journal, 22 February 2006. [Google Scholar]
- Chanel Official Serial Number Guide. Available online: https://mislux.com/blogs/the-lux-corner/chanel-official-serial-number-guide-how-to-read-a-serial-code (accessed on 15 March 2021).
- Benton, S.A.; Bove, V.M., Jr. Holographic Imaging; Wiley: New York, NY, USA, 2008; pp. 159–172. [Google Scholar]
- Benton, S.A. Hologram Reconstructions with Extended Incoherent Sources. J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 1969, 59, 1545–1546. [Google Scholar]
- McGrew, S.P. Countermeasures Against Hologram Counterfeiting. In Proceedings of the International Symposium and Product Presentation for Optical Information Storage and Display, Zurich, Switzerland, 14–16 October 1987. [Google Scholar]
- van Renesse, R.L. Security aspects of commercially available dot matrix and image matrix origination systems. In Proceedings of the SPIE International Conference on Optical Holography and Its Applications, Kiev, Ukraine, 24–27 May 2004; pp. 1–12. [Google Scholar]
- Firsov, A.; Loechel, B.; Schleunitz, A.; Svintsov, A.; Zaitsevb, S. Fabrication of Nanoimprint Stamps for Rainbow Holograms using SEM based e-beam lithography. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference Micro-Nano-Engineering, Copenhagen, Denmark, 23–26 September 2007; pp. 553–554. [Google Scholar]
- Vather, D.; Naydenova, I.; Cody, D.; Zawadzka, M.; Martin, S.; Mihaylova, E.; Curran, S.; Duffy, P.; Portillo, J.; Connell, D.; et al. Serialized holography for brand protection and authentication. Appl. Opt. 2018, 57, E131–E137. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Bove, V.M., Jr. Display Holography’s Digital Second Act. Proc. IEEE 2012, 100, 918–928. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Robinson, R. Forget AR & VR Apps. New Technology System Modern Mirror Takes Virtual Try-Ons Next Level. Forbes, 10 January 2021. [Google Scholar]
- Bove, V.M., Jr. Holographic Television. In Optical Holography–Materials, Theory and Applications; Blanche, P.-A., Ed.; Elsevier: St. Louis, MO, USA, 2020; pp. 73–82. [Google Scholar]
- Jiang, Y. What brands in China need to know about naked-eye 3D. Vogue Business, 17 March 2021. [Google Scholar]
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2021 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Bove, V.M., Jr.; Reader, N.A. Holography and the Luxury Industry. Photonics 2021, 8, 219. https://doi.org/10.3390/photonics8060219
Bove VM Jr., Reader NA. Holography and the Luxury Industry. Photonics. 2021; 8(6):219. https://doi.org/10.3390/photonics8060219Chicago/Turabian Style
Bove, V. Michael, Jr., and Nicole A. Reader. 2021. "Holography and the Luxury Industry" Photonics 8, no. 6: 219. https://doi.org/10.3390/photonics8060219